260 & 4831sc in tikka ctr

I recently acquired a tikka ctr in 260 rem. I had loads available from my savage predator 24" rifle in 260 Rem. using 140 amax, and 45 grains of 4831SC that shot well. Concern is, is a 20" barrel too short for 4831SC ? chronograph is trashed but guestimating that fps is 2600? is anyone shooting this load out of a 20"

I shoot 139 Lapuas over 46.0 gr. H-4831sc in Lapua or Win. brass and get around 2830 fps with a Bartlein 30" barrel. Accuracy is outstanding also. You probably are not going to see good results with only 20"of barrel length. RL-15 or IMR 4064 will be better in your barrel I think. Mid range to faster powders are better suited for short barrels.

I'm actually pretty happy. 100 yard 5 shot groups have been 0.3-0.4 moa and 300 yard group has been 0.4 moa.

Pics

Attachments

• 20150404_143750.jpg
    20150404_143750.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 72
" is a 20" barrel too short for 4831SC ?"

Why would it be? The fastest speeds you get with a 26" barrel will give the fastest speeds in a 20" barrel.

" is a 20" barrel too short for 4831SC ?"

Why would it be? The fastest speeds you get with a 26" barrel will give the fastest speeds in a 20" barrel.
It won't be the fastest that the barrel is capable of. You don't get a complete burn and pressure build with a slow powder in a short barrel.

"You don't get a complete burn and pressure build with a slow powder in a short barrel. "

"The common notion that faster powders will work better in shorter rifle barrels is wrong, primarily because all the powder that's going to turn into gas does so inside the first few inches of a barrel. (Muzzle flash is not unburned powder kernels flying out of the muzzle, but hot powder gas re-igniting when it hits the oxygen of the atmosphere.)

The same powders that get the highest velocity in longer rifle barrels get the highest velocity in short barrels too. If you want some proof, look at various loading manuals that list the same cartridge data in both rifles and handguns. You'll find the same powders getting the top velocities in both, or at least powders in the same burning rate range--slow
for the cartridge and bullet.

The least amount of velocity loss in a shorter barrel is typically with heavier bullets and slow powders."

John Barsness

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.