26 Nosler

salasj

I recently rechambered my Ruger M77 264 win mag to a 26 Nosle. My question is has anybody reached the velocities stated by nosler? Today I started working on a load using US869 and 140 grain Berger VLD hunting. So far I got these results not impressed because I can get those velocity with my other 264 win mag. But not to worried because it only cost me $150 to rechamber.

Nosler Brass
WLRM primer
US869
Coal 3.300
1. 84 grains 3,017 fps
2. 86 grains 3,065 fps
3. 88 grains 3,165 fps
None of the loads showed any pressure signs. So I'm going to go up another 4 grains to see how fast I can go before I start getting signs.I would love to reach 3,300fps that would be nice. I'll post results.

Attachments

• 20150525_160803.jpg
    20150525_160803.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 73
I did 4 26-Nosler "wildcats" which are no longer wildcats. Did not load for 26-Nosler (yet) but I have enough data for a model.

My QuickLoad model matches your velocity within %1.

IIWM Switch to 1 grain steps.

I don't know how US869 reacts to compressed loads but I believe you will hit that soon. 3300fps will be at ~92 grains. which will be %104 of case capacity but that is not exact as your actual fired case capacity could make it more or less.

Reloader-33, 870 and Retumbo should go faster with less compression or none and lower pressure.

Good luck.

That is an *** load of powder for those velocities, hell in pushin a 284 150 grain bullet 3200fps with 63 grains of powder.

I was running 82 grs of Ramshot Magnum and getting 3360 ish with the 130 gr Scirocco before sending the barrel out to get nitrided. Just got the barrel back today and am looking forward to further testing once I get it cleaned up and reinstalled.

Chris

Thanks for the information I just picked up some Reloader 33 so I'm going to give that a try. Retumbo worked pretty good in my 264 win mag. I got my best velocity 3,250 fps and groups. .134" at 100yds. So Retumbo is another option. I feel like a kid in a candy store. I love working up loads. Also want to try working a load with 140 grain Barnes XLC I have zbout 8 boxes might as well throw those in too

That is an *** load of powder for those velocities, hell in pushin a 284 150 grain bullet 3200fps with 63 grains of powder.

I would have to agree with you! I can can get just over 3300 fps with my 6.5 Sherman. 140 Berger, 64 gr N570. No thanks if it takes 28 gr more powder to reach the same speeds.

Even though I like the Nosler cartridge design, IMO for 6.5/264 is just silly.

Also have to say that while you might drive 140s at 3300fps with 28 grains less, you are doing it at higher pressure. Run the Nosler at the same pressure and it will go much faster. Physics is physics. Is it as "efficient" no as the SSM, no way dude.

The Nosler design for high velocity 7mm and up oh yeah.

Even though I like the Nosler cartridge design, IMO for 6.5/264 is just silly.

Also have to say that while you might drive 140s at 3300fps with 28 grains less, you are doing it at higher pressure. Run the Nosler at the same pressure and it will go much faster. Physics is physics. Is it as "efficient" no as the SSM, no way dude.

The Nosler design for high velocity 7mm and up oh yeah.

Fred,

Can you elaborate on this last statement please? The last velocities posted on your 7/26 Nosler thread showed slower velocities than expected also. You seemed to think you may have had a slow barrel. Again the velocities reported were achievable in the 7 LRM with much less powder. I have high hopes for the 28 Nosler. I just want to feel better about its efficiency.

Thanks

Fred,

Can you elaborate on this last statement please? The last velocities posted on your 7/26 Nosler thread showed slower velocities than expected also. You seemed to think you may have had a slow barrel. Again the velocities reported were achievable in the 7 LRM with much less powder. I have high hopes for the 28 Nosler. I just want to feel better about its efficiency.

Thanks
The 277/26-Nosler is as much faster than predictions as the 284/26-Nosler is slower. The 308/26-Nosler and 338/26-Nosler meet or exceed expectations. I have a new 7mm barrel on the way.

I have run final finish through the barrel to see of it speeds up but have not loaded anything since.

As for the "much less powder" um sure. Since I can't find any loads for a 7LRM got to take your word for it. The 7STW guys say all the same things. You have a 7LRM no reason to change.

"You have a 7LRM no reason to change."

Brass. Inconsistent brass is the issue. Bad necks on the first batch, which Gunwerks replaced. 2nd batch, the necks are good but the weights vary 10 grains. I like the 7 LRM a lot, but if the brass is no good, the caliber is worthless. I hope Gunwerks will find a solution. In the meantime, I am looking hard at this 28 Nosler.

"You have a 7LRM no reason to change."

Brass. Inconsistent brass is the issue. Bad necks on the first batch, which Gunwerks replaced. 2nd batch, the necks are good but the weights vary 10 grains. I like the 7 LRM a lot, but if the brass is no good, the caliber is worthless. I hope Gunwerks will find a solution. In the meantime, I am looking hard at this 28 Nosler.
Oh, ok. What you document is exactly why I am interested in the 404 Jefferies/RUM/WSM/Nosler lines. Standards based brass. Quality and availability.

I would consider the 28-Nosler a viable alternative for you then. I don't know if I have posted all the data I have it but my 28-Nosler performance does not match the others, including my other Nosler chamberings and other 284/26-Nosler aka 28-Noslers. It's just slow.

When I measure the case. Measure the bullet seating depth. Enter all the data accurately and 2 of 4 chamberings for 8 loadings or 16 different loads are within 20fps, less than .1% actual vs model but one is fast by 3% and another is slow by 3% them it shows variability in other factors like the barrels impact on performance.

Also remember I am using "take off" factory barrels for the 277 and 284 and they are 24"

You could rechamber your LRM. I'm not sure if you would have to do bolt work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.