26 Nosler Wildcats - 28 Nosler (284)

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

Yeah, it's done. R700 formerly a 300 RUM

But I don't have a stock that will fit the barrel so some inletting then.
Clean it up.
Put it back in the stock.
Put the Pressure Trace II strain gauge on it.
Scope on it.

Make up some starter loads and go to the range.

About time for an update on the .28 Nosler... When you sending me that reamer and a set of dies? :D

I got a factory Rem Sendero SF 7RUM barrel (brand new take-off) sitting here waiting to pull the spare STW apart to put the new (modified) RUM barrel on it. All I gotta do is cut about 1/4-1/2" off the tennon, and re-cut the threads and run the new reamer down it, and I'll be good to go. I could have it ready to rock in a week. :cool:

I don't mind helping doing load development, if you want it? Just let me know. I'm all about playing with wildcats, as yall already know. :D

Did you set your reamer up with a 40* shoulder and minimum taper? Or is it just like the .26 Nos, but with a 7mm neck?

About time for an update on the .28 Nosler... When you sending me that reamer and a set of dies? :D
Did you set your reamer up with a 40* shoulder and minimum taper? Or is it just like the .26 Nos, but with a 7mm neck?
Dies? I just wish them back into size. Works for me.:cool:

I left the body dimensions exact and just necked it up. I saw no benifit from any changes. Just makes everything harder.

As for dies, I had a resize reamer made but I have not made the dies yet.

Until I do, neck size with a WSM neck sizer then when I can't, I will use a WSM body to bump them and a 375 RUM to fix the body taper.

I'm using WSM seaters except for the 338 where I use a 338 RUM seater.

I inlet that "Sendero Special" barrel into a BDL walnut stock. I need to seal the stock. Not my best work but it will do.

Looking forward to your data. I have all the parts to build one of these, so I'm very curious to see how it performs.

I inlet that "Sendero Special" barrel into a BDL walnut stock. I need to seal the stock. Not my best work but it will do.
I inletted an antique BDL stock for my semi-custom Sendero SF .25-06 AI build. One of my favorite rifles. It's beautiful, IMO.

CCD2C267-E7D8-41D4-85CB-28CD88B336BB_zpsxlp2sp0a.jpg

I inletted an antique BDL stock for my semi-custom Sendero SF .25-06 AI build. One of my favorite rifles. It's beautiful, IMO.
That makes me feel better. I thought the barrel was too proud of the forend. Now that I see yours, that's just the way it looks.

Make sure it's an older BDL stock, and not a newer CDL stock. The older BDL stocks had a very wide, almost flat feeling foregrip, and have enough wood material there to open up to a varmint channel without a problem. But the CDL stocks have a very narrow and skinny foregrip and wouldn't be capable of being opened up to accept a heavy barrel without removing too much wood, and making it look funny.

Here's some examples I found on Google...

Vintage BDL stock (wide beavertail type front grip area). In this picture, it's even got a heavy barrel on the rifle, because the rifle is a 700 BDL Varmint. :D

84a319bc617f931a7afead00ca789ac5.jpg

Newer CDL stock (skinny front grip area, too narrow to open up for a varmint/sendero contour barrel)

stokfinshinlet.jpg

Sounds like you need to just sell it to me then, once you get your MKV final build done...

:D
It's an older wide forend BDL. Real walnut! Plenty of meat on the forend for that sendero barrel.

After some load work, it's for sale.

I don't have to wait for the Mark V final version.

Me no keep R700s. The 27 will be for sale as well. I will let go of the R700 ones as soon as practical.

I also have a antique remington stock laying around an other parts to build a 28 nosler. Just waiting on the holidays to be over with to fund it with! Grand kids got all my money! Lol. Looking forward to some good info on this tread. Merry Christmas to all.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.