26 nosler vs. 6.5stw...oh boy here we go

tobacco road

Hey everyone, I currently chamber 6.5stw and I had issues with very short barrel life, as expected . But getting brass is near impossible, so I have ordeordered a new barrel and cannot decide if I should try the 26 nosler due to brass availability or stick with my stw? I know they are very similar in case capacity, and I like the ideal of a shorter case so I can have a repeater. If anyone has any personal experience with the 26 good or bad I would appreciate it, I get my barrel in 2 weeks so I need to decide soon.

In my opinion, get the 26 Nosler. Performance is very close and you can actually buy brass...

I would do a 6.5 Sherman. Barrel life is quite good considering the performance. You will burn WAY less powder and still get good speed. WIth N570 and a 28" HART I shoot the 140 Berger at 3329 fps. Rich and others are also getting 3300 fps with R26. Something to consider if you are worried about barrel life.

IMO, the largest you can go in a 6.5 caliber without being too far over the edge (overbore), would be the .264 WinMag. It's an overbore cartridge, but nowhere near the same level as the .26 Nosler or 6.5 STW. I'm not knocking any calibers, but if it were mine, I would agree with the 6.5 Sherman suggestion, or possibly look into the .264 WinMag, especially since brass availability is important to you, and the 6.5 Sherman uses .270 Win. brass, and the .264 WinMag and the 7mm RemMag both share virtually the same case. And you can find .270 Win. and 7mmRM brass everywhere.

We are currently designing a 6.5 that should match the Nosler but with brass that is very available and shorter OAL.

PM me...I'm about 45 minutes up 108 from you...

if he's already shooting the rifle with a magnum bolt face, the 6.5 shermen is already out unless he plans on springing for a bolt.
I say build a 264 and put your stw brass in a 7mmstw...

I'm wondering how a 6.5 X 55 Swede in Ackley Improved would do against those super fast cartridges mentioned.

Ackley Improved shoulders (moved forward and sharply angled) seem to do well in intermediate cartridges.

Any info on this?

On the other hand... The 6.5/284 would be perhaps a better choice. Easier to get already formed brass and larger case capacity.
This and the 260 Rem. are very close in ballistics. I'd choose the 260 Rem. for a much longer throat life. !,000 rounds out of a 6.5/284 barrel is not nearly enough, IMHO.

(Take my advice with a grain of salt B/C it's coming from a 6.5 Creedmor supporter.)

Don't understand why so many people try to reinvent the **** wheel.
Two choices.... set it back and rechämber or rebarrel. He didn't ask about obscure Swiss Ai wildcats. The 6.5x284 is **** nice. I have one. However, that was not the question posed. If it was my rifle.... id do the 26 Nosler. Fresh barrel, and you can clean things up, re-tool with a fresh mindset.

Two choices.... set it back and rechämber or rebarrel. He didn't ask about obscure Swiss Ai wildcats. The 6.5x284 is **** nice. I have one. However, that was not the question posed. If it was my rifle.... id do the 26 Nosler. Fresh barrel, and you can clean things up, re-tool with a fresh mindset.

Yeah man, think I'm gunna go that route. The 26 nosler is to new in my opinion for the feed back I'm looking for, so one thing to do. Try it! I'll let yall know once I get it chambered

Thank you guys for the feedback, some good ideas, most I have already pondered. I really like the 264 win mag, and I already have a 6 mm 06 I could chamber to the 6.5 sherman. I know there are smarter alternatives to my situation but I chamber the 6.5stw knowing the cons. And love it but no brass is a problem. I'm hoping to get good results out of the 26. Nosler. Not recommended but I got 140gr. Bergers going just shy 3450fps. And it is magical with that high b.c of a bullet unreal on deer

Hey everyone, I currently chamber 6.5stw and I had issues with very short barrel life, as expected . But getting brass is near impossible, so I have ordeordered a new barrel and cannot decide if I should try the 26 nosler due to brass availability or stick with my stw? I know they are very similar in case capacity, and I like the ideal of a shorter case so I can have a repeater. If anyone has any personal experience with the 26 good or bad I would appreciate it, I get my barrel in 2 weeks so I need to decide soon.
I wanted to wait to see where this went.

26-Nosler vs 6.5 STW, both "barrel burners" so nothing will be saved.
Both will achieve accuracy under precision smithing and loading.

There are so many other 6.5 chamberings it boggles the mind.

If it were me....

Since the rifle is already a "magnum" bolt face, it you want less "barrel burner" characteristics. I would go with a smaller magnum for which brass is available. 264 or 6.5WSM both have brass available. Both have dies available. Both have reamers available. Your smith probably has a 264 reamer. Both will like the longer magazine for seating long.

last

Even though I do not prefer belted magnums, your action is already set up for belted magnums so that would the 264 in front of the WSM but for me, I like the WSM.

He sure didn't !

What IS a Swiss ai wildcat ?
I'm was waiting on this thread to see where it goes like Fred.

I know the OP has a mag boltface so it would be easier to go that route. But....why would the very very old(1891) 6.5 Sweed and P.O Ackley be reinventing the wheel? Sure P.O. Kinda reinvented the wheel a little but that was a long time ago. The 6.5 Sweed is never obscure. That goes with P.O. Ackley as well.
I'm with Fred and a 6.5 WSM on a mag action would be awesome!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.