26 nosler vs 6.5 prc

hammer111

Looking to get a gun bench competition. I'm curious which caliber is more suited to bench competition. Both seem like great options. I'm leaning towards the 6.5 prc for less recoil. I'd like to hear thoughts. Thanks.

Looking to get a gun bench competition. I'm curious which caliber is more suited to bench competition. Both seem like great options. I'm leaning towards the 6.5 prc for less recoil. I'd like to hear thoughts. Thanks.
What discipline of gun competition are you considering? Maybe someone else can chime in, but I don't see this cartridge as a favorite any competition rifles that I am aware of. Just saying.

What discipline of gun competition are you considering? Maybe someone else can chime in, but I don't see this cartridge as a favorite any competition rifles that I am aware of. Just saying.
So, I haven't started yet. Ive practiced a lot at my range. Just looking to get my feet wet in competition.
I want something that can be accurate and effortless out to 500 yards, with a bucket list of shooting to 1000 yards.
Currently I'm shooting a Tikka 7mm 08, and shooting out to 300 yards.
This would be more of a hobby, not really super serious yet.
I'm looking at the bergara ridgeback.

Thanks

Those both have a lot of bark to them for a bench rig better off with a 6mm cartridge like a dasher or a BRA but if your set on those 2 go PRC and make her heavy
I was very intrigued with the prc. I thought the 26 might be overkill. Thanks.

I was very intrigued with the prc. I thought the 26 might be overkill. Thanks.
I just built a 6gt for target shooting. Near zero recoil with a brake, easy to spot hits, low powder consumption, extremely easy to load for and would get you to 1000 yards easily. Any of the popular PRS cartridges would be better than the cartridges you listed (6BR, 6 Dasher, 6GT, Etc.) if target shooting is the main goal.

I also have a 6.5 PRC that I hunt with. It is very accurate but way overkill for bench shooting all day. No need for a 6.5 PRC for 1000 yards.

Neither. I would suggest two things. Go to accurateshooter.com and browse their forums. A lot of the top br and f class guys hang out there. Second go to the nearest shooting club or range that has competitions and check it out. Their are certain calibers that tend to dominate or do well in specific competitions. The first requirement is good quality brass. Nosler brass is not great and it's expensive. Hornady is not great brass either. Think Laupa, peterson or adg. 6mmBR and the variants are hard to beat in BR and F class to 600. At 1000 guys shoot everything from 6BR to 300 wsm. The straight 284 winchester or the 284 shehane is getting real popular in F class due to the higher bc 7mm bullets out now. Guys are actually necking up 6.5 284 back to 284 which was the original parent case.

26 Nosler eats barrels like a fat kid eats cake. Very poor choice for any type of shooting other than hunting.

6.5PRC is popular with the PRS and NRL crowds. But not as much with the BR & F Class guys. Very popular with hunters too.

For me, for 500 yards, and even out to 1k on steel, a good fast twist medium case 22 or 6mm is the ticket.

I shoot my 6 Creedmoor out to 1400+ monthly. It has the nickname of "Mr. Confidence" for a reason.

Last edited:
I just built a 6gt for target shooting. Near zero recoil with a brake, easy to spot hits, low powder consumption, extremely easy to load for and would get you to 1000 yards easily. Any of the popular PRS cartridges would be better than the cartridges you listed (6BR, 6 Dasher, 6GT, Etc.) if target shooting is the main goal.

I also have a 6.5 PRC that I hunt with. It is very accurate but way overkill for bench shooting all day. No need for a 6.5 PRC for 1000 yards.
Wow, ok. I think I'm getting a better understanding. The 6.5 prc is more suited for hunting with knock down power. Thanks.

26 Nosler eats barrels like a fat kid eats cake. Very poor choice for any type of shooting other than hunting.

6.5PRC is popular with the PRS and NRL crowds. But not as much with the BR & F Class guys. Very popular with hunters too.

For me, for 500 yards, and even out to 1k on steel, a good fast twist medium case 22 or 6mm is the ticket.
Yeah I read that about the nosler. I guess I forgot about the barrel eating. Ok. Thanks

Wow, ok. I think I'm getting a better understanding. The 6.5 prc is more suited for hunting with knock down power. Thanks.
If your not gonna compete and doing it just for fun a 1-7 22 cal with some 77gr vlds and you'll be having a good time all day with low noise and nearly Zero recoil and the savings in powder will be a plus

FWIW, used a Bergara HMR pro 6.5 PRC this season locally in IBS factory class, tactical and a couple times in LG. The smaller stuff and better shooters pretty much wore me out all year - except a day or two with heavy wind (4-7 MOA dialed in).
Going to give the 6 creed a shot next year.

Last edited:

Recent Posts