26 Nosler Sucess Stories & Load Development

Keota

Love LRH. There are a handful of 26Nosler shooters out there and being it's a controversial cartridge , it tends not to get a lot of light shed on its spent box of ammo. I thought I'd start a thread for all who have had success with the 26. And those who haven't. I shoot one my self and have had some success but that took a lot of developing & Discussion with Nosler , Hornady, & other experienced shooters, I use it for plains game. Also I don't mind the haters either I love the different opinions strong or not I've been in the industry for 35 years and have learned to take the negative with the positive there is validity in everyone's opinion .

Its a love hate relationship that started as hate, but now i love mine. Savage 110 with aftermarket prefit barrel. It is finicky to load for, spent a couple hundred rounds before i finally got a combo that worked. Solid load with retumbo 127 lrx and fed 215 primers. Very low SDs and consistently at 0.75 MOA. So far it has a mule deer and a cow moose both at 700 yds, also quite a few rocks have died around 1000yds. Very effective. Does it eat the barrel? yes. Do i care, not really. Last time i took it to the range 5 shots were 3450fps with 5fps extreme spread. I bought another barrel and am working on a second rifle i like it so much. Its recoils varmint gun, but becomes big game capable with monolithics. Heavier barrel tapers are what i would recommend. Shoot it slow to manage throat life.

Its a love hate relationship that started as hate, but now i love mine. Savage 110 with aftermarket prefit barrel. It is finicky to load for, spent a couple hundred rounds before i finally got a combo that worked. Solid load with retumbo 127 lrx and fed 215 primers. Very low SDs and consistently at 0.75 MOA. So far it has a mule deer and a cow moose both at 700 yds, also quite a few rocks have died around 1000yds. Very effective. Does it eat the barrel? yes. Do i care, not really. Last time i took it to the range 5 shots were 3450fps with 5fps extreme spread. I bought another barrel and am working on a second rifle i like it so much. Its recoils varmint gun, but becomes big game capable with monolithics. Heavier barrel tapers are what i would recommend. Shoot it slow to manage throat life.
Rock shooting is a blast.

I always get a kick out of the ""man its such a barrel eater"" simply the worst comment ever considering the barrels are made too be taken off and replaced. I've built several and they are ridiculously accurate .. 127 LRX is bad SUM B as well as the 156 berger and 140 accubond ...haven't had much for troubles with them as far getting them too shoot or great accuracy.

what kind of velocities are you guys getting out of the Berger 156 EOL...............that should really be a long range "smacker"............

Last edited:
That's incredible! Moose with a 127 gr LRX 700 yards . That demands Respect congrats.

Went through the bottom of the spine and recovered under offside hide. Nice mushroom. Anybody have a good load with 156 bergers?

I personally don't own one but my good buddy I elk hunt with has a browning that shoots factory nosler 140 accubond very accurately. He's killed 5 elk with it. Such a fantastic western caliber, bucks the wind, extremely flat and lots of energy! If I didn't have a 300 win I'd probably own one. Best wishes

Very good accuracy node with 77.3 gr of VV N570 and 140 grain Elite Hunter Bergers flying just under 3200 FPS ... liquified everything in the boiler room inside 750 meters.... the group was shot at 800 meters with a 5 mph left to right crosswind

Attachments

• BEA7F2BE-5E4F-4F30-B913-24402878A5D1.jpeg
    BEA7F2BE-5E4F-4F30-B913-24402878A5D1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101