26 Nosler or 6.5 Prc Hunting

6.5 PRC or 26 Nosler

• 6.5 prc

Votes: 141 62.4%
  • 26 nosler

Votes: 85 37.6%

• Total voters
Recently went through the same thing, 26 or the PRC. I ultimately chose the PRC due to the fact I don't reload and the 26 ammo was expensive and hard to find......fast forward and now it is difficult to find the PRC in stock. I have a case of the factory ELDX and ELDM but have only shot some of the ELDX. Avg was 2932 with an SD of 30.2 on a 24" barrel. I picked up some of the Copper Creek loads in the ELDX, 140 Hybrid and Elite Hunters and the ELDX had the best consistency. It ran 3014 with an SD of 12. The Bergers were 3077 and 3095 respectively but the groupings opened up quite a bit. I tried to buy a case of the ELDX from them and they dont have any brass to load with either at the moment.

I have 5 264 bore rifles- two 6.5cm, 260ai, 6.5-284 and a 26. Nice to have steps in the same caliber, pretty easy to do comparisons between them. The prc is balistically identical to a 6.5-284, its a nice spot to be in speed wise and still easy to load for. The 26 will always be pickier, but I still get some very good accuracy at some very good speeds (127lrx at 3495). You can push a 6.5-284 with 140's over 3k but to run powders that are not temp sensitive you are likely just under 3k.
Of the two in the op and for a pure hunting rifle I would go 26. The extra hp is nice, and accuracy will always be a rifle specific thing- get a bad one and either cartridge won't be great. For most the barrel life of a 26 is many years, if you burn one out its a simple job to rebarrel. If you are seriously into shooting and shoot a couple times a week a barrel is a consumable just like bullets/brass/powder are.

You won't regret owning a PRC. I have built a few now and they are easy to dial in using heavies with any of the slower burning powders. No need to test multiple powders and seating depths, etc. in order to shoot 1/2 MOA or less. Your not going to be launching 150gr at 3500 FPS but you will have a capable LR cartridge. You can easily push 150gr to 3100 from a 24-26 inch tube but i usually stay around 3000. The 6.5-06 has been a staple in my cabinet for several years but it is much more challenging to find a consistent load combination for it. Finished a 25 PRC today. The energy/drop from the 131 blackjack looks great on my ballistics app. Just did a barrel swap on a M70 WSM. No pressure signs with 58gr retumbo. 25 and 6.5 side by side
A818B3EA-3D71-4A24-A8C5-7A31FD481E4B.jpeg
2430C40E-D9C2-472A-ABBB-C05911C8B7DC.jpeg

I'm building a 6.5 PRC now and specifically chose it over the 26 nosler because I did not want to constantly be changing barrels

I think the barrel life issue in the 26 Nosler is a bit over stated. I've played with a few different barrels now chambered for a 6.5x338 Rum improved which has about a 15gr capacity advantage over the 26 Nosler. One barrel was burned up in about 200 shots by intentionally pushing it hard trying to get light bullets as fast as possible. The others were all treated much nicer and all did or still are performing well after many more rounds. The over bore chamberings aren't intended to be shot all the time. Get a load dialed in and practice with it a couple times every year, but have a different gun available for extended range sessions. The average hunter will easily get 10 years of useful barrel life out of a 26 Nosler.

I think the barrel life issue in the 26 Nosler is a bit over stated. I've played with a few different barrels now chambered for a 6.5x338 Rum improved which has about a 15gr capacity advantage over the 26 Nosler. One barrel was burned up in about 200 shots by intentionally pushing it hard trying to get light bullets as fast as possible. The others were all treated much nicer and all did or still are performing well after many more rounds. The over bore chamberings aren't intended to be shot all the time. Get a load dialed in and practice with it a couple times every year, but have a different gun available for extended range sessions. The average hunter will easily get 10 years of useful barrel life out of a 26 Nosler.

I would go with the 26 Nosler for the simple reason that better brass is available since ADG and/or Petersen are making the Nosler brass and it is great. I am not sure whether there is a high end manufacture making PRC brass yet. Before Nosler came out with the 26 Nosler and others I built a 30-375 Ruger, I would have used 26 or 28 Nosler brass and necked it up if it had been available as I have not had great luck with Hornady brass.

Ballistically the difference between the two rounds is not large enough to make the choice on performance so make it on the availability of quality components.

Buy two blanks when you start as these are barrel burners I built a 6.5 WSM years ago and got great performance up to about 550 rounds. To do it again I would go with a 7 mm cartridge instead as the performance on the animals will be about the same with greater barrrel life without going to the recoil that the 30 caliber magnums would with heavy bullets.

Just my two cents,
wade

I guess all these people that talk about a 6.5 PRC, 6.5X300 Wby Mag and all weren't around when the .264 Win Mag came out. It's barrel life was around 300 rounds. Hot burning, abrasive powder and a Throat Erosion that just destroyed the Original Rifle Winchester put out. I agree with the statement of whow needs to shoot an Elk at 100yards. A little wing, a little warble and it's either wounded or dies later that day MILES from where it was hit. My circumstances of being an Amputee and Nevada Game Laws, I require a long range ACCURATE, stable rifle. That's a 300 Win Mag. It kills with authority at 600 yards and will smash the front shoulder if it hits there because of Wind Drift or me wobbling. Those 6.5 rifles need to be restricted to that 1500 foot pound Minimum. Maybe it's time for Western States to dictate those figures and facts. Save wounded, lost Game Animals. No offense to those that continue to use light cslibers. In Nevads, the 223 Rem/5.56x45 are LEGAL FOR ELK, ANTELOPE AND VENISON.

I guess all these people that talk about a 6.5 PRC, 6.5X300 Wby Mag and all weren't around when the .264 Win Mag came out. It's barrel life was around 300 rounds. Hot burning, abrasive powder and a Throat Erosion that just destroyed the Original Rifle Winchester put out. I agree with the statement of whow needs to shoot an Elk at 100yards. A little wing, a little warble and it's either wounded or dies later that day MILES from where it was hit. My circumstances of being an Amputee and Nevada Game Laws, I require a long range ACCURATE, stable rifle. That's a 300 Win Mag. It kills with authority at 600 yards and will smash the front shoulder if it hits there because of Wind Drift or me wobbling. Those 6.5 rifles need to be restricted to that 1500 foot pound Minimum. Maybe it's time for Western States to dictate those figures and facts. Save wounded, lost Game Animals. No offense to those that continue to use light cslibers. In Nevads, the 223 Rem/5.56x45 are LEGAL FOR ELK, ANTELOPE AND VENISON.

You don't have any first had experience with the PRC, Noser or Weatherby 6.5s do you?

No I dont. I have a Grendel and used to shoot a 1896 Swedish Mauser. I have seen light bullets explode on the skin of animals because of thin jackets and extreme velocity. Like I said. I require a Rifle that delivers all I need to 600 yards. I'm currently laying in a VA bed just having another amputation. I'm restricted to roads and can't traverse uneven rocky ground. This is a result from Agent Orange and a year in Combat over 50 years ago. Like I sai, the 223 Rem/5.56x45 is a LEGAL weapon in Nevada of ELK and all other Big Game in the state. Shoot what you want, only please respect those animals also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.