26 nosler factory rounds will not extract

koathmann

I have a new Montana 1999 X2 in 26 nosler the molt has to be struck with a mallet to extract spent rounds. I have tried both factory and a few lighter hand loads with like results. The spent brass shows no unusual marks and when reinserted will not extract. The bolt appears to have enough initial cam backwards.

I would suspect primary extraction. I also have a new MRC rifle it it too is lacking in primary extraction. If yours is a late manufacture then be sure to check it out carefully. They closed their doors recently. Before closing there were lots of complaints about quality. It is unfortunate I have 2 older manufacture rifle and they are awesome. Does the bolt bind in the raceway? How much gap do you have between the bolt shroud and the back of the action?

measuring above the bolt release .108 checked four others .085 .078 .063 and one new unfired .110 This one dose not bind I have had that before in others. It is very accurate

Time for a bore scope. I would suggest a very rough chamber. They knew they were going out and probably used a worn out reamer that had seen better days. Might get by with just polishing it up.

.108 is a bit much for sure. However I am not sure how to shorten it. It would appear they cut the lug abutments too much? I am not a gunsmith so just speckulation on my part. I would for sure look into the chamber with a bore scope.

You can check primary extraction by either of two ways. One with a clear rifle put your thumb on the back of the bolt and lift the bolt handle slowly and see if you feel it moving backwards as the handle gets to the top of the stroke. Or you can make a witness mark with a sharpie on the front of the ejection port and as you lift the handle see if it moves back at the top of the stroke.
You can also watch the cam on the shroud to see if it contacts the slope on the action.
Does the handle lift up all the way without any resistance and it just won't travel backwards?
I will attach 2 pics the first of is of a 1999 with correct .023 primary extraction and the second with excessive .079 primary extraction.

IMG_20200405_201409445.jpg
IMG_20200405_201632500.jpg

no feeler gauges but the best i could measure with a caliper .073 tried the calipers on my 22-250 and 240 and the gap is to small to get them in to it. It cams ever so slightly but not much I guess if someone is good enough they could tig weld a little and build up the cam surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.