26 nosler and 160 matrix

jcp1967

Does anybody have any experience with the 160 matrix and 26 nosler...wife currently shoots 140 Berger's with H1000 thinking about a matrix for elk since the new 156 Berger is not available....any help would be appreciated

the 160 matrix is a pretty stout bullet from what many people say. the extra velocity of the 26 Nosler will be a good thing

Her current load is 74.5 H1000 running the 140 berger at 3345...just not sure about letting her try an elk with it...she loves the gun and it melts a mule deer but got no experience on elk with that small a bullet

Many animals being killed wih 140 bullets...and most are shooting much slower than 3345fps....i say keep her shooting the 140 and kill everything within her given range....
If you get pass thrus with the bergers on deer..she'll make mincemeat of the elk's lungs....it will be plenty dead.....

it is not that the 140 Berger wont get the job done just keep it behind the shoulder with that much velocity. personality I don't like bergers with that much velocity if shots get close.

I once shot an elk..aiming at the base of the ear...i missed the base of the ear..by an inch...the bullet blew a hole into that bulls head and whipped it around so hard and fast that the bull fell over on top of itself..and it was a tough time finding it in the sagebrush....
The bullet came from a 7rm....140ab....it wasn't very fast...but I don't know many animals that can outrun any bullet....
Dead is Dead....

I was thinking about the Matrix as well for my custom 6.5-284 I am building right now. With the 140s you will be fine on elk. Especially with that kinetic energy from the 26 nosler. I mean, you see people dropping elk with creeds and .243s. I would never shoot an elk with either but people are.

I use the 140 Berger's in my 264 wm, the elk seem pretty impressed by them so far, 3 for 3 on one shot kills from 100 to 650 yards

I shot a few 160 matrix out of my 6.5 Sherman. But it likes 140-150 class Bullets better. Stabilized out of my 1-8 Hart no problem. Don't remember what the velocity was and have no on game experience. But I do remember guys annealing them to ensure expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.