26 inches vrs longer barrels on a 338LM

Dimitrios

Hello i would like to know the tradeof in performanse of a 338Lm if i chouse to go with a 26" barrel(from a very good barrelmaker) straight taper to .900 instead of the longer ones .i know it will loose some velosity, at what distanses it could be a hindranse in accurasy?
thank you

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Dimitrios ]

Hi Dimitrios
Welcome I have a 338 Lupua improved ( 338 YOGI ) with a 34"lilja the barrel is 36" with the brake. The barrel is 1.450 straight taper to 1.20. The action is a big Bat 2"in diameter by 10" long. I have shot some excellent groups with it at 1100 meters. That is the longest shot I can get here in the field I shoot. I would go at lest 30" for the extra velocity you would get around 100 fps with the extra 4"

Crow Mag

Welcome Dimitrios,

I don't think accuracy is going to be a problem, but with the loss in velocity the longer tubes offer the wind will be more of a problem the farther out you go. It's a trade off in portability I think is what it comes down to.

A good high BC bullet would also drop as much as 20" at 1000 yds too.

That's with a difference of a minus 100 to 140 FPS velocity using the shorter barrel.

DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.