26-06 Browning what could I turn it into?

I'll preface by saying that I'm very impressed with the apparent amount of commitment that Blackjack has shown and their partners in the game have a great reputation as well- kudos all around, now on to my favorite Charlie Russell reference- "Meat's not meat 'til it's in the pan"...

I'll preface by saying that I'm very impressed with the apparent amount of commitment that Blackjack has shown and their partners in the game have a great reputation as well- kudos all around, now on to my favorite Charlie Russell reference- "Meat's not meat 'til it's in the pan"...
Looking on that print on the wall now. LOVE IT!!!

You could keep it in 25-06 but improve on it such as replacing the magazine with one that accepts detachable magazines improve the accuracy buy installing new sights and or scope and maybe replace the bolt.

The 147 eld has a g7 of .352. The 150 smk is higher than that, but they only list a g1 which is .701

147 ELD M - 0.335 G7.

Great bullet, but you can achieve over 100-150 fps more in the same case with the same or higher BC using a 0.257" 131 gr ACE.

upload_2019-3-10_0-45-50.png

upload_2019-3-10_0-46-28.png

Yes, but will they have better BC's than the 156gr Berger?

I wouldn't want to pin a certain FPS number on the 25 grain bullet differential in attainable MV but that would be over 150 fps difference fired from the same parent case.

It would take a tremendous BC and tremendous range to outrun the 131 ACE from the same parent cartridge. The 150 SMK catches up at a little over 1760 yds or more depending on Density Altitude...

The other option is to increase powder charge and recoil to make these 150-156 grain bullets catch up in wind, trajectory and energy inside of a mile.

They are great bullets - there will be no doubt about that. They will just take more gas to reach medium range to long range ballistic equivalency. For ELR the 150 and 156 will be hard to beat.

It took 16+ more grains because it's a bigger bore...... that's like saying it takes 50+ grains for a 30 cal to match a 140-150class 6.5:rolleyes: I didnt say that a .330 g7 wasnt impressive. The difference between the 2 isn't that much. Literally a few minutes of elevation at 1000 yards and a couple clicks of wind. You'd never really notice the difference at that range.

From the same parent cartridge average on high performing 6.5mm bullets are around 10-12% more wind than the 25 variant with 131 ACE. How much of a difference does it take to become noticeable?

5%, 10%, 15%?

10% more wind certainty would matter if a guy was trying to win something amidst real competition.

The last day of a mule deer season a few years back some 25-35 mph winds kicked up as I was examining a heavy buck at 566 yards bedded behind some logs where there was no approach.Besides my wind meter, there was good secondary indication from the sheets of dirt blowing across the meadows between two ridges.

I was shooting 260 AI with 140 bergers at 3111 fps (which is stellar really), and I eventually hit this buck in the last rib with a wind estimate of 28 MPH after watching my kestrel for about 5 minutes. Buck was not releasing from cover.

The kill was OKAY but not the kind I liked. I had to put another in him to dispatch him in the short timespan I prefer so animals do not suffer. If i had not shot 3500-4000 rounds that year with this rifle I would not have taken the shot.

10-12% more wind certainty that day would have been a bonus.

Last edited:
From the same parent cartridge average on high performing 6.5mm bullets are around 10-12% more wind than the 25 variant with 131 ACE. How much of a difference does it take to become noticeable?

5%, 10%, 15%?

10% more wind certainty would matter if a guy was trying to win something amidst real competition.

The last day of a mule deer season a few years back some 25-35 mph winds kicked up as I was examining a heavy buck at 566 yards bedded behind some logs where there was no approach.Besides my wind meter, there was good secondary indication from the sheets of dirt blowing across the meadows between two ridges.

I was shooting 260 AI with 140 bergers at 3111 fps (which is stellar really), and I eventually hit this buck in the last rib with a wind estimate of 28 MPH after watching my kestrel for about 5 minutes. Buck was not releasing from cover.

The kill was OKAY but not the kind I liked. I had to put another in him to dispatch him in the short timespan I prefer so animals do not suffer. If i had not shot 3500-4000 rounds that year with this rifle I would not have taken the shot.

10-12% more wind certainty that day would have been a bonus.
I'm going to openly apologize to you. I was against the 25 cal 131 because in the past i hated the 25 cal and thought it was useless(that and I'm a 6.5mm guy). I realize now that was retardely silly. Take any of my older posts with a grain of salt about your bullets. If i could afford it I'd build a 25 creed for your bullets.

Before you do anything to it, give it a really good cleaning, Maybe you could change it into a good shooting 25 -06 That's a good cartridge and a smooth shooting 25-06 is hard to beat, after it's good and clean try Noslers most accurate powder in a few different loads, I'd be willing to bet You'll have a great shooting rifle that your friend will want back.

I'm going to openly apologize to you. I was against the 25 cal 131 because in the past i hated the 25 cal and thought it was useless(that and I'm a 6.5mm guy). I realize now that was retardely silly. Take any of my older posts with a grain of salt about your bullets. If i could afford it I'd build a 25 creed for your bullets.
I'm a 6.5 guy too. I was 264 Win Mag and 260 AI for a long time. They are awesome and I was leaving 284 Win.

At least you're man enough to eat crow. Says a lot for a creedmoor shooter. Last part is heavy on sarcasm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts