25WSSM Mod.70

Tnwhip

I have a Mod 70 Coyote in 25WSSM. Bought it new when it first came out. It use to shoot 3/4 to 1" groups for a couple of years. Now it has grown to 1 1/2 to 2" groups. I have pillow bedded it in the laminated stock. Tried different loads with everything from 75g to 117g bullets. Annealed and turned necks to clean them up. Lapped the barrel and have just about given up on it. Never shot it a hole lot. It probably only has 400 or 500 rounds through it. It should not be shot out. I like the rifle ,don't want to sell it, it's one of my best looking rilfes. The only mod 70 I have ever had. I guess I am kinda limited to what I can do with it being a WSSM. I don't guess I could get another bolt for the action and change it to something else. I am stuck with the WSSM. I am just debating on what to do. If I decide to get another barrel, stick with the 25WSSM or go to The 243WSSM, I kinda wish I could just make it a 6mm BR or Dasher. Just wishing and I have other things going right now anyway. It is funny how your mind wanders when you open and stare into the gun safe.

First thing I would check is if it's copper fouled. I find it helps to have the barrel warm like after putting a few rounds through it. Then use some heavy duty copper solvents, my favorite is 50/50 kroil/butches bore shine. Patch it through wet a few times then let it set for 30min or so then dry patch it a few times then back to wet till there's no more blue. This would be my best guess as to your problem. Other than that if your round count is higher than what your guessing the barrel could very well be shot out. when I was looking into a 243wssm I found multiple reports of barrels only lasting ~600 rounds, I have no personal experience with the wssm cases though.

It can't be copper fouled. I have cleaned it really good with Butches and montanta
Extream and the foam stuff, then lapped it. To see if that would help.This was just a hunting gun. After working up a load it was only taken out to shoot a few rounds through it to check the zero then hunted with it. I have all the boxes of bullets I have shot through it. 75g,87g,100g,117g. Shot the 117s and the 100gs the most. Had a good load with both. Then sometime along the way the groups just started opening up. It was never a one holer but around MOA. I have my own shooting range and a shooting shack where I can reload and shoot out the window. I spent 2 days down there last spring fooling with this rifle tring to get it to shoot better and got burnt out with it and put it back in the safe. The crown looks good. I have thought about tring another scope to see if that could be it? I may try some different primers. I think I did. Will have to check my records. I have almost every target I ever shot with it. I have had this rifle and a 308 that belongs to a friend that has made me want to pull my hair out. After a bad session with these rifles, I have to go shoot another rifle that shoots good and shoot a 1/2" group just to settle my nerves.gun):D

I have the same rifle (coyote) in 25wssm.

Mine did the same thing as yours at about the 500 round mark also. I nearly had to freeze the rifle to get the crappy bedding goop loose. I eventually got it clear, tuned the trigger, cleaned up the bedding (mine was fine wood to steel so that's where it is), scrubbed the fouling out of the barrel with a light lapping (it had taken on a weird dark look), took the bolt apart and degreased the firing pin/spring, popped the top end off and checked everything.
I don't know what actually worked as this was all pretty much a one shot deal, but a full go/through was enough and she returned to sub moa status. I would go through the whole rifle as something may be amiss you haven't noticed, then check to see if you need to alter your loads as your throat may have crept between the shot count and the lapping.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.