257wby wby vs norma brass.

SouthLoganCountyShooter

I had some interesting results yesterday. I have some 257wby brass that was fire formed wby and norma brass. The norma seems way softer. Anyway I loaded 2 wby and 2 norma. Everything is exactly the same except head stamping. I forgot to take pictures of chrono reading. Wby brass was 4083 and 462. Norma was 3865 and 3888. I think lol. But dang what a velocity drop. I figured it would be closer.

Edit 4083 and 4068 lol only Pic I have 90g absolute hammers

Attachments

• 20220805_144657.jpg
    20220805_144657.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
This is interesting because Norma makes 257 Weatherby brass for them.

"Weatherby rifle ammunition for the 257 Weatherby Magnum is manufactured by Norma of Sweden."

Based on such a huge velocity difference I would repeat the test. I am thinking the chronograph reading changed due to lighting or positioning and not the brass.

"Weatherby rifle ammunition for the 257 Weatherby Magnum is manufactured by Norma of Sweden."

Based on such a huge velocity difference I would repeat the test. I am thinking the chronograph reading changed due to lighting or positioning and not the brass.
This!

It's a speedometer and I've already tested my results 3 times. The reason I got the norma brass was because I expected it to be the same. When I was doing load development with the norma brass. I had ejector marks and less velocity way before I expected.

You can't compare loaded brass to new brass. Likewise even though norma makes weatherby brass, different lots will have different thicknesses and internal dimensions. It's best practice to keep your load development on the same lot.
I understand that. I ordered 60 new cases from wby(all they had ) and 50 cases from norma (all they had)

How did I compare loaded to new? All was new and fire formed in my rifle.

I had the exact thing happen with the 92HH. I purchased 60 pieces of brass and then bought 2 boxes of their Wby select ammo. I figured they were the same brass, Just head stamps are a little different. The brass on the left was the loaded, the brass on the right was the unloaded. After firing both one time in my gun, FL sized, then loaded to the exact same spec. The loaded select brass was 120fps slower than the the unloaded brass. Luckily the head stamp is different so they're easy to keep separated!
9F4B3BB6-8867-492A-8E78-40F79128700E.jpeg

I'm curious about how many grains of powder are you using to hit 4k and your barrel length?

I'm going to be starting load development on a Ruger #1 in 25-06 with a 26" barrel. I'm hoping to get 3800 fps with the 90gr AH

I'm curious about how many grains of powder are you using to hit 4k and your barrel length?

I'm going to be starting load development on a Ruger #1 in 25-06 with a 26" barrel. I'm hoping to get 3800 fps with the 90gr AH
26" 78g re26 everything else I've tried was 37-3800 I know they recommend faster powder I've tried 5 different powders. 26 is king but it takes a lot. Idk if it matters but I'm at sea level.

26" 78g re26 everything else I've tried was 37-3800 I know they recommend faster powder I've tried 5 different powders. 26 is king but it takes a lot. Idk if it matters but I'm at sea level.
I hit over 4K with 98 gr shockhammers in my 257 wby 26" barrel but the accuracy dropped off a little so I backed up to 77.7 gr RE26 and 3915 fps. Sub caliber group size. 26 is awesome stuff!

I hit over 4K with 98 gr shockhammers in my 257 wby 26" barrel but the accuracy dropped off a little so I backed up to 77.7 gr RE26 and 3915 fps. Sub caliber group size. 26 is awesome stuff!
I have a 28" Number 1 .257 Wea, should be interesting. Have any you used the 92 on Deer or Hogs?