257 WM range results

remingtonman_25_06

Did some shooting this morning with a buddys DE 257 Weatherby Mag. Its a rem 700 stainless action, 26" lilja, rem mcmillan stock, leupold 3-9. Nice looking rifle. My buddy didn't have time to break in or work up a load and he drew an antelope tag and his season starts in a couple weeks. So he let me take over his rifle. First I completed barrel break in and then worked up 3 loads with 100g NBT's and H4350. This is what he gave me. Knowing I didn't have a lot of time or components, I wanted to keep it short and sweet. If I could get an 1" at 100 yards, that would be good enough for an antelope hunt. So I loaded up 3 loads of 3 shots each with 62, 63, and 64g of H4350, norma case, Fed 215", OAL 3.386", .010" off the lands. As you can see by the target, all 3 loads were under 1". 64g produced the tightest with a .6xx" group at 3500fps. 63g produced a .8xx" group at 3460fps, 62g produced a .9xx" group at 3425fps. You can clearly see it really wants to shoot this combo. A little more tinkering with seating depth and it would clover leaf I guaruntee it. Although, short on time and components, I think a .7" load at 3500fps will work just fine on short time and within the first 3 loads put through the rifle.

1z4cu39.jpg

r7q6qe.jpg

295ytc.jpg

R-man 25-06 ,

Nice rifle your friend had built !

I'm not at all surprised that the rifle shot that well right out of the gate -top end equipment tends to do that doesn't it .
Mike

I just checked zero on mine this evening for a caribou hunt. 100 grain Barnes TSX at 3785 fps shot .92" group at 400 yards. Standard off the shelf mk 5 weatherby. Loaded with magpro powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.