257 weatherby

ccsykes

I am new on this forum. I found it will looking for reviews on the 257 weatherby. From what I have read, there seem to be mixed reviews not on the caliber, but on the guns, namely weatherbys. With this being said, I am leaning toward a custom gun. I do not know much about custom guns, but I have shot a lightweight rifles inc. gun chambered in 257 weatherby. The gun was quite a nice shooting gun. The applications that I will be using this gun for is 300 yrd shots on medium game and up to 500 yrd shots on paper. I am not set on the caliber of gun. Any information would be helpful.

Christopher

Best set some parameters.

What weight are you trying to keep? is this a lightweight gun?

What size game?

What distances?

Recoil tolerance? Low weight and high recoil run hand in hand.

Last and most important cost limitations?

Cost no problem and the supreme light weight guns, go with the Ultra Light Arms is supreme. Short action model ULA 20 weighs 4.5 lbs, sub 1" shooter all day and $2400. long actions model 22, magnum action model 24, WSM calibers are model 28 and about $2800.

Rem mountain rifles are about $600 and 1-1/4" normally and 6.5 lbs

Deer size game, I would pick rem mountain rifle in 270 and put one of the 1lb stocks on it, lap lugs, trigger adjust and bedding. Weight with scope should be able to be 6.5-7 lbs.

You can later add custom barrel for about $450. I built one in 7STW that would shoot around .3 consistently with 140 B'Tips.

Weatherby brass is expensive and hard to find sometimes in the 257. If I had to have a 25 caliber, the 25/06 or the new 25 WSSM would be my picks. The 270 WSM is flat as anything in that caliber also.

BH

[ 03-23-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Christopher,
I was looking for a 25-06 but ran into at 257Wby LH and I couldn't pass it up. Ammo is not even cloase to reasonably priced and reloading will be must unless you got more $ that I do.

The Weatherby rifle its self has done well. It is a little rough in picking up a round and chambering it, but it is getting smoother with time.

It liked the 115 grain X-bullets best of all of the factory ammo and it does well out to 920 yards so far. The bullets are lighter than a 30cal and the wind can play games on you a bit more that the bigger guns, but I bought it for a 600 yard gun and I think it will do nicely on any deer to that range.

I have a 300 WBY so recoil is not a real concern. I was looking at a lightweight gun in the 4.5-5lb range unscoped. I will be reloading for this gun and I was looking in the price range of up to 3000 for the gun. I have looked at the Ultra Light Arms rifles, but it appears for a long action (the 257 would be a long action), the weight is going to be 5+ pounds. I would be using this rifle for mid size game around where I live and varmits such as bob cats, foxs, and maybe a coyote. Beavers are a posibility along with crows. Distances can possible push 500-600 yrds. I will also be shooting paper. I am thinking about a muzzle break as well. The gun I shot had one and it did not seem overly loud. Another question I have is optics. I have three leupolds (one on the 300, one on a 3006 and a small one on a 30-30). I was told to look at swarovski, schmidt and bender, night force, kahles, and zeiss. Are there any recomendations?

Christopher, why would you need a brake with a 257 WBY it only has 22.5 lbs of recoil.

With regards to custom rifles, I paid about $3100 for mine including gunsmithing and everything else except scope but it did include talley bases and rings.

It's a 338 lapua, Prairie Gun Works m-18 action, Mcmillian remington hunter stock, 28" lilja #7 fluted barrel, and Jewell trigger. $3000 is about right. PGW makes great actions (rem700 style) I think their m-15 would be perfect for the 257. I don't think you would need the m-18. Also I got mine in stainless, but they also make their actions in titanium for lighter weight.

Three things if you do get a PGW action. Tell them you don't want a trigger and get a jewell. Have them make you a scope base or you need to buy 2 front bases. Lastly, You WILL WAIT to get the action...but its worth it!

Good Luck!

John, I was thinking along the same lines in regards to the break. The gentleman's gun that I shot had it because he didnt know how the recoild would be with a 4.75 lb gun. (I think the main reason for this is that he got the same gun chambered in 338 win at the same time). I am like you and do not really think it a great need. I just saw that it came with the lightweight version from rifles inc. Do you have an internet site for prairie gun works. The site I found is no longer working. Right now I am in the research stage and all information that I recieve is greatly appreciated. Is there any caliber that is recomended other than the 257 wby?

Like I said before, right now I am trying to gather information and just not jump into this project blind. I have just run across the 257 stw. This round seems to be stout. I was wondering if anyone here had any expirience with this round or new anything about it. It appears to be a high capacity round. One load I saw called for 78.2 grns of Rl-22, pushing a 100 grn bullet 3580 fps. COL appears to be 3.657.

So how does the .257 Wea. shoot in the accuracy department? I've considered having a second barrel, #4 taper, made for my .300 Jarrett and the .257 is the front runner, followed by the .264 mag. Any comments?

The custom gun that I shot was nice. I had never shot it before. The guy gave me 3 rounds just to see how it felt, and I put all three in a hole i made with my 500 S&W at 100 yards. (In other words for the first time with the rifle, I had about a .5" grouping which i think is exceptional considering I had no expirence with the gun before). The bullets were factory 117 grn hornady round nose. He said they were best shooting bullets he has shot out of his gun.

Christopher

suggest you talk to Dave Tooley in Gastonia at Tooley Custom rifles and he has website. Just do search, think it is www.tooleyrifles.com

He has built more custom lr rifles and top 1k guns than anyone in your area. Dave and Leonard Baity (another top NC smith) shoot at Hawks Ridge 1000 yard matches (by N. Wilksboro) every month. In fact about 4-6 top smiths will shoot every month at those matches. Go to www.nc1000ydshooters.com for their match schedule, 17 April is next match.

Suggest you go to the matches with your 300 weatherby and shoot the factory class and talk to everyone about custom guns and lr guns.

I have had two ULA model 20s and they are absolutely great light and accurate guns.

BH

[ 03-24-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

I looked at his rifles. I have emailed him and am waiting on his reply. Thanks for all of your help. What do you all think about the 257 caliber?

Wow, I tried their website and it is down...thats odd?

The phone number is (204)231-2976.

Let me know if it works.

I have two rifles, one has a trued remington 70 action and the other a PGW custom. I love the full custom. But, the 700 shoots great too. Looks wise - no comparison, the PGW looks way cool.

[ 03-24-2004: Message edited by: John M. ]

I will give him a call. Thanks for everyone's help. I have never owned a custom gun or really done anything extra to a gun I own. Right now I am trying to learn what I need to look for and find reputable gun makers. Thanks for everyones insight.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.