257 weatherby

Ksduckhntr

What is everyone's thoughts on this caliber. Have an opportunity to pick up a Remington cdl with low miles. 26" fluted tube, nice wood stock and stainless steel. How's the recoil on something like this? I know it will be minor but is it more like a standard 270 felt recoil or closer to a 243? In and all input is appreciated

I use a .257 wthby for antelope hunting and think the recoil is very sharp but not heavy if that makes sense. To me it is much more like a .270 than a .243. Some calibers seem to push more than punch based on pressure spike/time. The .257 wthby is a lot of powder burning behind a small bullet, more punch than push.

The recoil will be between a 270 and a 243. I never minded it on my unbraked sporter barrel rifle. That will be a really nice rifle.

[edited] I just looked at chuck hawks recoil table, equal weight rifles, the 257 has a touch more, I guess the 270s I shot were lighter?

Last edited:
Recoil is more than 270 in my experience, quite a bit more powder being burned. That said, it's definitely not uncomfortable at all. 257 Roy is the ultimate laser deer hunting cartridge, 100 grain Barnes at 3800 fps flies flat and hits hard.

Both of mine recoil heavier than a .270. Great for deer, antelope and javelina. Both are quite accurate with 115 Berger VLDH. Before you buy, be aware the brass is pricey and factory ammunition is pricier. It uses a lot of powder as well.

My 257 wby is an accumark very accurate and is like the vulcan death ray for these VA whitetails. The felt recoil on a weatherby style stock is rather tame. You will notice a little more with a CDL style stock without cheek piece or drop at comb.

If you find the recoil a little sharp its easy to find an inexpesive weatherby style stock and replace.

Good luck and shoot straight

Does it put animals down as spectacularly as stated on the internet? There are some pretty big fans of the weatherby cartridges and some big claims. Any of them truth when it comes to killing power?

My 257 wby is an accumark very accurate and is like the vulcan death ray for these VA whitetails. The felt recoil on a weatherby style stock is rather tame. You will notice a little more with a CDL style stock without cheek piece or drop at comb.

If you find the recoil a little sharp its easy to find an inexpesive weatherby style stock and replace.

Good luck and shoot straight

I am looking at dropping it in a gamescout stock and add a new trigger.

Does it put animals down as spectacularly as stated on the internet? There are some pretty big fans of the weatherby cartridges and some big claims. Any of them truth when it comes to killing power?
I use my .257 Wthby primarily for pronghorn and nicknamed it the hammer of thor for good reason. Most every one went down like it was belted with a hammer. With that said, I had a couple of large mule deer I took with it at about 200 yards and it was okay, but definitely not my first choice. It didn't put down the big deer nearly as quickly as it does pronghorn, of course the pronghorn are so much smaller.

What is everyone's thoughts on this caliber. Have an opportunity to pick up a Remington cdl with low miles. 26" fluted tube, nice wood stock and stainless steel. How's the recoil on something like this? I know it will be minor but is it more like a standard 270 felt recoil or closer to a 243? In and all input is appreciated
It's a good cartridge, just a bit outdated, but it's still very viable...If that makes any sense.

The recoil for a .257 Wby is not as minimal as you think... It's got some very snappy recoil to it...Especially shooting off a bench. I owned one from 2008-2014. The recoil is noticeably more than a .270 Win. Closer to a 7mm RemMag.

That depends on how well you can shoot, and how well you can place your shot, and know the animal's anatomy that you are shooting.

I'm sure you're referencing the Roy Weatherby killing a water buffalo with 1 shot from a .257 Wby story... Not sure exactly how true it is, but weird stuff does happen sometimes if all the stars align. I shot many deer with mine (factory 110 Accubond ammo), and almost all ran more than 30 yards...Some closer to 100, and I've been hunting deer my whole life, and know how shoot.

Works great on whitetail. Works on big Mule deer but not as spectacular as whitetail. I've shot several 150class whitetail with 115 ballistic tips and they worked great.

I would say that on smaller deer in the 120 or less range yes. When you start shooting 250 pound Canadian whitetails with 100 to 115gr bullets that's a different matter but even there not armor plated.

I am looking at dropping it in a gamescout stock and add a new trigger.

I installed a Black Gamescout on my SA CDL SF and it makes a nice looking rifle. That said it doesn't have the cheek piece or drop at comb of the weatherby style stocks.

With a 500.00 dollar stock and a 200.00 dollar trigger I hope you like it

Good luck and shoot straight yall

I had two, one in a rechambered Mod 700 Classic 25-06, converted to the 257 BEE, recoil a tad less than a .270 with 115 Nosler partition...death ray on Blackbuck and Black Hawaiian rams. Another was a custom Mark X with a 26" bbl in a marble cake English Walnut classic style stock, again, kinda .270ish with 100TSX...but still a death ray! They are very popular in Texas. Point and shoot out to any sensible range when zeroed +2" @ 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.