257 weatherby

This has been debated many many times here. I know of a family in New Mexico who all hunt elk with.257 Roberts. They hunt in thick junipers with only 30-50 yd shots. I'm probably in the minority, but I can't ethically use a .257 WBY to generally hunt elk. I own one, but a larger caliber just seems more ethical.

Have to agree 100% with Dosh on this one. Why handicap yourself with a caliber that was not really designed for an animal that can go 800#-1000#, especially if the shot offered isn't perfect and bigger caliber would have been much better to get the job done humanely.

I have a friend who has used nothing but a 25-06 and factory loads for elk ( up in mixed woods country, North slope Uintas) for decades. When I asked him which bullet, he said, "the heavy one, I think", meaning the 120 Cor Lokt. ha I also knew two brother who used nothing but their .243's and the original 100gr Barnes X back in the 90s on elk. I have used the 257W only on antelope/deer sized stuff, the Nosler 115PT @3200fps and the 100TSX @ 3500. Both would work just fine on elk, at least at "sensible elk ranges". I don't want to start any flak, but I've averaged 190yds on three cow elk. Sure, I've seen them way further out, but they were never more than a few yards from timber. Its better to break one down if you can. If you hit him at the base of the neck or high shoulder with a good bullet, you can work on him from there! :)

Enough doubters, and I have an 06. So I believe that I will just use that. And my Roy is a Ruger No.1 too. Thanks for all the input!

We just got back from Africa. One of the rifles that we took was a semi custom 257 bee. This rifle was set up with our 116g Sledge Hammer. This rifle took 7 animals from porcupine to trophy eland. Most of the animals that were taken with the 25cal would have normally been considered too much animal for the chosen cartridge, according to the professional hunters. After seeing bullets performance they had no problem letting the little 257 take any plains game available. All animals taken were one shot except the eland. The eland, for those who do not know, is an 1800 lb animal. The 1st shot on it was frontal. The bullet was recovered in the small intestines. The second shot was not needed but taken because the animal was still standing. This shot went through the massive shoulder bone and stopped in the brisket. Both bullets identical after recovery. 87% retenetion. Along with the eland the list of animals includes trophy common blesbuck, zebra, trophy impala, trophy white blesbuck, warthog. All one shot kills with little or no travel after the shot.

Long way of saying your 257 will be fine for elk with the right bullet. Remember most bullets are too frangible for the speed or too long for the 10" twist that the 257 has.

Steve

You will be "so glad" you didn't have to haul that heavy #1 in elk country, ha. If your 30-06 is heavy, put it in a nice synthetic. Pare it down to where you can still shoot it well off-hand and have a ball!

You will be "so glad" you didn't have to haul that heavy #1 in elk country, ha. If your 30-06 is heavy, put it in a nice synthetic. Pare it down to where you can still shoot it well off-hand and have a ball!
Both rifles are fairly light. Shooting well? There's the rub!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.