257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

My buddy has a 25/7mag chambered in a Sako with a 26 inch 1 in 12 twist barrel that will light the world on fire but it doesn't like to stabilize heavier bullets..my dad has the 257 Roy chambered in a Parker Hale with a 27 inch barrel that he claims is superior to my 2506 Mauser..but he won't go get it chronographed..I hate to tell him this but his Parker Hale has a Mauser action..I hate to admit it but with that 27 inch barrel he would probably smoke me.. lmao

The reason I like the 98 Mauser in 2506 is because it was built by either p Ackley or his shop built it for Harvey Donaldson in 1967 as a birthday present (it's inscribed)..I picked the rifle up in Idaho springs Colorado at a hardware store for 150 bucks back in 1994 because the bolt was damaged beyond repair..I took the rifle to Peterson's in Albuquerque NM and had it fixed..this was when I found out about the rifle and who had made it and why..so it's a special milsurp conversion that shoots excellent.. Donaldson died in 1972 so I don't know if he ever got it or if he did..if he actually shot it..we ran the numbers on it and they came back inconclusive other than it was built out of a 1910 model 98 gew Mauser manufactured in suhl..other than the engraving that's all the history that can be obtained

Other than the fact that that barrels from the same manufacturer can vary in velocity from the same cartridge, the cartridge case is just a pressure chamber. The only way for that chamber to push a bullet faster, is to make it bigger, or use a higher pressure (for the same powder).

There is no free lunch. The laws of physics are called laws for a reason.

Other than the fact that that barrels from the same manufacturer can vary in velocity from the same cartridge, the cartridge case is just a pressure chamber. The only way for that chamber to push a bullet faster, is to make it bigger, or use a higher pressure (for the same powder).

Physics shmisicks..you can't load the 257 to capacity in all rifles to begin with due to pressure issues and accuracy drop off..if your accuracy drops off but you have sizzling speed you haven't gained anything..when your groups start spreading while you are working up your loads it's time to quit..btw have you ever dealt with the 3006 and the 3006 improved?..this is one of these physics defying rounds..you end up using more powder in the improved case to obtain the same velocity as the standard case..I am sure there is a scientific explanation for this anomoly but wildcatters throughout the years haven't been able to explain it..and yes..it has been toyed with a lol

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?

You know the Weatherby with appropriate twist and blackjacks are near an impossible combination to beat. That being said 270-WSM shooting 145 ELDX carries 16OO+ Pounds at 500 Yards and is available in the box. The older 6mm affair might also be a consideration as the .240 Weatherby and 6mm Remington can compete in this arena and lighter on the shoulder.

(Don't forget about the BCH 130's in 270 Caliber)

Last edited:
I know that you have asked about the .264 WinMag, just another thought is the .270 WSM with a 26 inch barrel, sort of an in between cartridge that will reach what you wrote you are looking for. I'd suggest the 26 inch barrel no matter what you build to maximize the potential for those small calibers. Good luck with your build.
I love my 270WSM. 140 gn Accubond @ 3240 out of a 24 in barrel. It is a mule deer and antelope killing machine.

Long Skinny Cartridges were and are designed for Military applications where more Rounds fit in a Magazine. Those longer Cases suffer somewhat in the efficiency department and are eclipsed in performance by the new shorter fatter Ultra Mags. So, you see the Physics actually change with the design of the Pressure Chamber.

'Mark and Sam after work' recently did a comparison between the 6.5-SAUM and the 6.5-06 Ackley improved, and although the cases are similar in capacity the 06 Case just can't keep up.// Roughly 200-300 more fps from the short fat case max compared to the max of the long skinny case. /// op didn't want a wildcat so I mentioned the 270-wsm, and if he wanted a simple AI improved he could tempt the 6mm Remington. See the "Texan" mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

Recent Posts