257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

Huh! Never heard that before! Where can I read about it?

Also super interesting to me as it's the only AI with a double venturi shoulder. When did he switch to his standardized 40 degree?
All Roy wetherby shoulder angles are the same..he used the shell of a 300 Holland and holland on his magnums.. Ackley had already worked up a wildcat very similar to Roy's 257..Roy just put his signature design on the case and marketed it

Have been shooting the 264 mag since 1964. From 26" bbl's I drive 120gr Barnes, 121 gr Hammer bullets at 3455 fps using Rel 33. . 140gr bullets at 3222 fps using VV 24N41 or US 869. I find the 264 more desirable than a 257 bore. I see the 6.5 bore as being more flexible & a considerably better bullet selection. The 6.5 has been my elk bullet since 1994. 100% dependable.

A ton of advice to chew on, a couple of comments, I have an accurate 25-06 already...its not enough energy to get "out there" and the barrel twist whatever it is doesn't like anything over 115 grains. Second heading into the 277 category is just too close to the 300 Win Mag I have and love already. The rifle would be deer antelope and coyotes that is why I narrowed it down to the 2 choices. I do not want a wildcat, don't care if its a "barrel burner" as I have enough guns to vary the shooting time LOL and I will be adding a new barrel to an action I have coming. The twist rate will mix things up for sure as I would load 130's out of the 257 Bee or 140's out of the 264.

As far as barrel burning I am still shooting my Rem 700 264 mag I bought new in 1964. Took my best bull ever in 2014 with it, Still shoots under 1". I never shoot it more than 2 times with out a barrel cool down. I feel sure this practice has aided my barrels long life. Since I have my own range this allows me to cool down without a problem. I have 264's with 1/9 & 1/8 twist. They all shoot any bullet from 100gr to 143 very accurately & all perform quite well on my 500yd range. I forgot to note 100gr ( Barnes, Nosler, Sierra ) at 3700 + fps with Rel 33. . They will amaze you how well they perform to 500yds. The Barnes 100gr TTSX or Nosler partition will take the largest deer out there. Also moderate recoil.

I ran the same bullet with 7828 in my 257wby. Shot 2 huge bodied bucks with it, one at 425 yards. Both were drt!

I have a 98 Mauser custom chambered in 2506 Al improved..gun was built in 1967..my neighbor has a 700 Remington chambered in 257 Roy factory made in 1995..the Remington has a 26 inch barrel..my Mauser has a 25 inch barrel..he can muster 3600 fps safely.. before he starts seeing signs of overpressure and calls it good..I have loaded up to 3450 before my groups started stretching out and I quit..my Mauser showed no signs of pressure.. nothing to indicate that I couldn't load hotter rounds it just started losing accuracy so why go further..some rifles may react differently but I believe with a different barrel I believe I could have matched him or actually surpassed him and not given up accuracy

He had gone as far as he could safely go in his newer Remington that hasn't been shot even half as much as my custom 98 built in the 60s..I could have loaded hotter just to try to match velocity..what's the point if accuracy suffers

I am going to state..the 2506 in that particular rifle is a necked down blown out 3006 improved..you have to fireform the cases for best accuracy and velocity