257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

The best would be to go with the one that drawls your interest the most. As stated before the 270 mag. are worth a look too, of coarse I'm a 270 fan so they get my attention just like 35 calibers and other medium calibers. As I thought this over and skimmed over the other post I was leaning to the 264 Win. mag. (it to has a little interest to me, but have never had one). But then as another has stated the .264 Win. would be competing a bit with your 300 Win. mag. and the 257 weatherby cover a bit more of a nitch. So then I was thinking what are your intended use, if for game up to deer I'd go 257 weatherby, if up to elk go 264 win. mag. That's my opinion. So the best answer is in my first statement. Witch ever you go with I think it will be a grate rifle and you will enjoy it for a long time.

Last edited:
Have hunted with both for almost 3 decades and love them both, but...NOTHING beats the 257ROY on deer and goats to 500 yards. Yes the .264 is the clear choice if you are actually going need to shoot a lot of stuff past 500. If you are building a hunting gun and generally manage to get yourself within a quarter mile of the target a 10 twist with Accubonds, TSXs, Partitions, Sciroccos, or Ballistic tips will put a giant smile on your face. At the distances most game can be taken at, nothing wins the race against wind and gravity like the Bee. What's best is the .257 bullets these days are made specifically to...wait for it...kill deer sized game at high impact velocity! This combination makes for more Stiff legged tips without a step than with any other case I use. Truth be told, the 110 Accubond started in the neighborhood of 3500fps is awfully reliable to 600, but If you feel like your hunting area is just not gonna offer a shot under 500 in most cases you should probably roll with the ol .264.

Last edited:
Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?
I am getting 3200 FPS from my .264 with 140 Speer gold dots. 76.5 gr of H50 BMG, necked down WW 7 mag brass (one pass through the sizer and shoot) and a 26" Wilson stainless barrel. I had it throated long, and COAL is 3.460"

Last edited:
Hmmm, not offhand. Should I?? Where at?

And to add to the 257 bullet discussion, theres also the 110 Bulldozer mono bullet, its 7 twist with 590 bc. I havent seen it yet but when I get my next 25 caliber I'm all over it! Between those, the 121 and 128 hammers and Blackjacks I wouldn't consider a 7 twist overly specialized at all. Unless you chambered it specifically maybe??
I know Blackjack has a reamer for the .257 specd with minimal freebore designed for long pointy bullets.
He built the first 6.5-300 WeatherBug to compete at the Williamsport 1000 yard Original Benchrest Club.

this argument can be made on so many cartridges it's not funny! 30/08 vs 300 mags, 6.5 creed vs 6.5 prc , 308 vs 30/06 and so on and so on!
The only real benefit the 257 wetherby mag has over the 2506 would be for the handloader..the 257 can be loaded much hotter than factory loads..but the 2506 can too..the ballistic data I was looking at the 257 had a full 2 inch longer barrel than the 2506..I think I will just keep my 06 instead of rushing out and buying the belted magnum wildcat Roy stole from Ackley..

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?
One of the preferred sniper rifles in NAM was the Winchester 270 / Weatherby 270. Documented kills of 800+ yards. Or you might want to consider the mist universal rifle of all, the 30-06. Both would be an asset to your collection.

The only real benefit the 257 wetherby mag has over the 2506 would be for the handloader..the 257 can be loaded much hotter than factory loads..but the 2506 can too..the ballistic data I was looking at the 257 had a full 2 inch longer barrel than the 2506..I think I will just keep my 06 instead of rushing out and buying the belted magnum wildcat Roy stole from Ackley..
That right there is the difference between reading about shooting, and shooting. 45 years ago when there was one suitable powder, maybe they were close...er.🐢🐇

That right there is the difference between reading about shooting, and shooting. 45 years ago when there was one suitable powder, maybe they were close...er.🐢🐇
The ballistics I was looking at were recent factory loads for the 257 and 2506..they can both be loaded much hotter..I know I reload both my 2506 and my 264..the fact you failed to mention is that when you load the 257 hot enough to make a difference you are going to smoke your barrel..so have it however you want..the gain is insignificant from my viewpoint

You don't have to stretch primer pockets in the Bee to set it apart, and yes that barrel just ain't gonna last. And that's the price. If you want a barrel to last for the great grandkids, chamber the Bob, if you wanna get there the fastest with the mostest, plan barrels in the budget. I think the OP was looking for a 257B versus 264WM comparison, not what middle of the road cartridges offer the best efficiency and barrel life.

If I were to choose between the two the op was referring to I would definitely pick the 264..it's an all around cartridge..if I'm going to budget in barrels it might as well be on something worthwhile..imho

You don't have to stretch primer pockets in the Bee to set it apart, and yes that barrel just ain't gonna last. And that's the price. If you want a barrel to last for the great grandkids, chamber the Bob, if you wanna get there the fastest with the mostest, plan barrels in the budget. I think the OP was looking for a 257B versus 264WM comparison, not what middle of the road cartridges offer the best efficiency and barrel life.
Btw..the 2506 is by no means a "middle of the road cartridge"..if I were trying to promote one of those it would be the 257 Roberts or the 257/308 wildcat..those are middle of the road cartridges..the 2506 can definitely burn it's share of barrels if the handloader is not careful..like I said..the 2506 can be loaded super fast also..you can only put so much powder behind a small bullet like that before it becomes inaccurate and not worth the effort..you can hurl a hunk of copper and lead down the range at sizzling speeds with many commercial cartridges handloaded to do so but if they aren't accurate what have you gained?