257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag next rifle build

I love the .257 Wby mag used it for many, many years, in an MkV rifle(s), I've always thought the .264 Win mag was just as great, but when I was using the .257 Wby 6.5 bullets just didn't have much in selection, nowadays, well I'd have to give the 6.5 Wim mag a second look and then like many have said there's the 6.5 Wby which in conversation with the Weatherby people I had many conversations about why not a 6.5mm now days who knows, just pick one. :)

Unfortunately, the 160 matrix, or any matrix bullets aren't available anymore. I am hoarding the few 160s I have left for my 6.5-284
I thought the new owners were shipping to the U.S. again? I'd look into it if you need more Matrix bullets.

If I understand what you are saying top loads are not reasonable.
But ya..I don't ever end up with reasonable loads when I start reloading either..I just can't force myself to do it..lol!..that is probably why I know about the barrels..no one had actually ever warned me about it.but yeah I figured it out after I ruined a couple

Unfortunately, the 160 matrix, or any matrix bullets aren't available anymore. I am hoarding the few 160s I have left for my 6.5-284

I thought the new owners were shipping to the U.S. again? I'd look into it if you need more Matrix bullets.

They are out of stock (https://matrixbullets.com/ca/shop-by-caliber.html?cat=43) at the moment but yes they are available as @BEEMAN noted.

Contact Kurtis Stoutjesdek for any status/question.

Last edited:
257 Roberts AI with 100 gr Barnes TTSX is a friggin deer slayer. Gonna whip one up for my wife as well, you'd think that kind of downrange lethality was reserved for a .30 cal. Parker Ackley was right.

2506 is less than 200 fps slower..around 170 fps slower..with factory ammunition..I don't see a bunch of difference there

Been back and forth on this one, I just finished a build on a 35 Whelen for mid range (super accurate 225 grain Accubonds @2800 fps) and last year a 300 Win Mag build for long range and elk/bears out there. Was looking to complement what I have on hand and was playing with a 25-06 and a 243 but found them lacking past 400-500 yards. Was looking towards a 257 bee with a twist to allow 130 grain bullets or a 264 Win Mag. Not interested in a wildcat, nor the flavor of the month 6.5 PRC or Weatherby version, a 140 @ 3000 is average and only matches what the old 6.5-06 does, not interested. A friend is shooting 140's out of his 264 @ 3300 with great success and I do like that. Cant help but think what the Weatherby would do with 130's @ maybe 3200+ fps? Thoughts?
Had custom 257wthby...loved it for deer antelope PAC Nor,Leupold 6.5x20 used 110 Accubonds DIT on those out to 500

I have noth the 264 Win Mag and a couple of 357 Weatherby mags. It is possible to reach 3300 fps with a 140 in a 26/27 inch 264
And 3450+ in a 26 inch 257 WB and a 120 grain bullet. These are both deadly chamberings. I think that the 264 is just a bit more versatile due to better bullet selection. Other than that factor both are the real cats meow. Dave