257 Weatherby on Elk

MT257

Just wondering what others thoughts are on the 257 WBY with a 115 Partition on elk? Ok for cow? How about on a bull?

I have killed about 30 elk with a 257 Weatherby. The partitions were bullet of choice even though they didn't shoot very well. They used to be 117 gr. All shots were under 300 yds and most closer than that. Good luck. shoot straight.

MT, I have fiends in New Mexico who all hunt elk with .257 Roberts, but they hunt in heavy juniper and rarely have shots out to 100 yards. I have 2 .257 Wby's and they are used for deer and javalena. The Unit we hunt elk here in Az the shots are 300-500 on average. I lean toward my larger caliber Wby's for that reason since I'm not a perfect shot. I read Roy killed an elephant once with his .257 Wby which sounds a bit extreme. Give your .257 a try and let us know how it performed. Good luck

No way for me. Everything would have to be perfect to make an ethical kill with that size caliber. In reality, most opportunities are less than a perfect position, distance and shot placement. I would stick with the larger and heavier calibers to make up those margins of error.

Just my $.02

It is true shot placement is everything. And many elk have fallen to a .25 and even smaller when things go good. Increased distance will increase margin of error , and lower energy. The last elk I saw taken with a 257 Weatherby took 5 hits to fall. The first one was placed the best. I was there for the shooting of 70 elk last season alone. I am most comfortable with a 30 cal and up when we are looking for a quick kill. Sure a .25 will kill elk. But is it the best choice? Not even close.

Jeff

My NM guide who has killed over 80 elk hunts them with a 220 swift. Would i recommend that to anyone? No. When I brought my 338 win and 257 he said we will get you 300 or less and bring the 257 o the hunt

Load a tough bullet

If it's all you got then heck yeah use it will do the job. Stay with in reasonable distance and take good shots. We killed elk with 25-06, it used to be the only gun I had then it was the gun my son could handle the best. He bigger now and I have lots of better elk guns in the safe so would I use a .25 cal today, nope

Just wondering what others thoughts are on the 257 WBY with a 115 Partition on elk? Ok for cow? How about on a bull?

Just like everything else, if that is all you have and you can shoot, yes it will kill an Elk. Partition or Barnes is hard to beat for this kind of use. That said, if you have other choices that are 338, more better solution. For one elk hunt I would use what I have, if I planned to do it regular I would get the right gun cause around here Elk country is also Grizz country and the sound of a shot is the dinner bell.

Just saw Plinker's reply, pretty much the same same as this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.