257 Weatherby Magnum for LR Varmint

wildcat

Hey guys, what do you think about building a custom rig chambered in 257 Weatherby Magnum. With this round you can get some amazing velocities. I read that out of a 30" barrel, shooting a 100grn Nosler Ballistic tip, you can get around 3700 to 3750 fps. Is this true and does anybody here shoot this round.

I shoot a 257 Wby but for deer. Too darned expensive for varmints. I tried all of the factory offerings when I first got the rifle and found that it liked the 115 X bullets the best at around 3/4". The lighter bullets may work if you played with them but I have a 22-250 for that and didn't want to wear a barrel out testing.

I assume that you also have a Varmit gun for your high volume shooting. If that is true & you use this gun for windy days/the longer Varmit shots, you might look at the 125 Gr. Wildcats. They will not be quite as flat out to 500, but with a range finder you can plot these shots with either bullet anyway, but beyond 500 the Wildcat will kick butt & more importantly, do much better in the wind!!

I got a custom 257 wby built on a mauser 98 action, shilen barrel, glass bedded action topped with a TSS 10X. Love it, more of a long range deer/coyote gun than a varmint gun IMO. Got a .243 win ruger VTII for the "varmints" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

We get 3700 with 100's in a 26" barrel. 3650 with excellent case life. 4000 with 75 grain V-Max's. Varminting is about all I do with my 257Wby.
A 30" barrel should add 200 fps to this.

Hired Gun

I just picked up some 75gr V-Max for my 257 roy and was wondering if you had any suggestions on powder and where to start as far as a powder charge. Also what kind of groups are you getting at 100yds? Also is there much pelt damage done to a yote with the V-Max?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.