.257 Weatherby Magnum - Bullet selection

StictlyRUM when did you work at Nosler? Wasnt during 2002 was it? They do make **** good bullets...but I sure as hell wont shoot em!

Sorry about hijacking the thread 300!

I started in late 02 as a maintenance machinist. Just left 3 months ago. Dream job ,working in the industry. Guns and bullets and shooting every day. If they could only find someone sane to run it....

keep the 125gr Wildcat in mind, with a BC around .550 it will have a lot more retained velocity and energy downrange than anything else. I will be testing this round out of my 25-06 out to 1500yds in a couple of weeks, will have a better BC estimate then

good luck
steve

Try the barnes Triple shock or the X bullet accuracy can be exceedingly good or else average depends on what your rifle likes. Either one will hold together even if they hit bone and will not cause severe meat damage like a BT. I used the X in my 2506 for deer up to 300yds and never had a problem. Wouldnt hesistate to use it on a elk either.

RUM,
Yes management was the reason I quit there to. Loved the job and process didnt get along with the management. (I did the annealing, cleaning and lubing) Do you still live up there in bend? If so shoot me a email and we can terminate some ground squirrels or chucks sometime.

I moved back to the valley. Eugene actually. MO money better management. I will be terminatin some sqwirrels though. I will probably be going on the prarie dog hunt in wyoming in August also.
jason

I know of 6 257 Weatherby's and all of them shoot the 100g Nosler BT, and none of them have experienced bullet failures. In otherwords, what they shot was laying right where it was standing when it was hit.

I also have shot a coyote at 50-65 yards straight away running shot and the bullet hit the yote in the butt and came out it's chest.

The 100g Ballistic tip is not a varmint bullet.

I think that you will do just fine with the 115 CT, part of the fun is trying and seeing what happens!

Quote from 458win: [ QUOTE ]
I used the X in my 2506 for deer up to 300yds and never had a problem

[/ QUOTE ] Are you saying that 300 yds is the furthest you have shot a deer with this round or that is furthest that you would ever shoot a deer with that load? What would your max distance be with this set-up? (500-600yds?) I sent you an e-mail 458win.

Has anyone tried the .257 Berger VLD bullets? I would like to try them out.

Knappy

Its the farthest I have shot a deer with the load. Under ideal conditions I would use it up to 500yds max. Sent a reply to your email.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.