.257 Weatherby Magnum - Bullet selection

300winnie

I have a question concerning bullet selection in the .257 Weatherby Magnum.

Here are the facts: I have a load worked up using the 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip with a muzzle velocity of 3400 fps (chronographed). It shoots sub-m.o.a. all day long if I am on my game.

Here are the assumptions: I will likely hunt antelope and mule deer with my .257 WM. Don't believe in using it for elk as I think it to be too small and I already shoot a .300 Win Mag at them.

I have been juggling a lot of different bullets through my head that "would do the job better", but I have to answer the latest nagging question. That question is, for the game listed do I even need to worry about changing bullets. Is the bullet I am shooting constructed well enough that my thoughts on changing are a complete waste of time?

What have been your experiences with the 115 grain Ballistic Silvertip out of the .25 caliber rifles...especially high end velocity?

I shoot a .270 win and .270 weatherby. I really had bad luck this year using ct balistic tips in my .270 win. Took a doe at 80 yards and the bullet broke into three pieces (it hit a rib on the way in). The doe ran 40 yards and was down. I switched to my weatherby and dropped a buck at 100 yards using swift Aframes. I switched to Sciroccos 130 grains for my .270 and also interbonds both bullets with 54 grains of IMR4350 driving it is dead on. Swift is supposed to come out with sciroccos for the .257 or I would try using interbonds.

Take care Aaron

the 115 bt acts like a varmint bullet at close range. I would use th110 accubond

Ballistic Tips and high velocity impacts have resulted in unfavorable terminal performance for many shooters. I don't hold that against Nosler because the Ballistic Tips were (reportedly) designed for longer ranges where impact velocities would be lower. They also perform well in standard cartridges where impact velocities would not exceed 3,000 ft/sec.

I shot 140gr B-Tips @ 3,500ft/sec out of my 7STW, knowing full well that this was outside the apparent design parameters for this bullet, at least where target range was short. The performance on whitetails was VERY unpredictable. Some would drop like a bomb went off inside of them while others ran while displaying huge surface wounds.

I switched to the Accubonds as soon as they became available and couldn't be happier with the results. The 140gr & 160gr both shoot accurately from my 7STW and 7mm-08. Terminal performance is reliable and predictable.

If I were you I'd shoot the Accubond or a similar premium bullet out of that speedster. I've also had good results with the (pricey) Barnes TSX for whatever that's worth.

Just my 2 cents.

I have heard some people having problems with the 110 accubond not shooting good for them, havent tried them myself. I am currently shooting the 125gr WildCat ULD RBBT in my 25-06 and I will tell you this little sucker hits HARD at 500yds. Serious smack on a rock face at 515yd.

Richard GRaves told me this bullet expand fairly rapidly if solid bone was struck. Shoot him a email and see if he thinks it would work for you.

good luck
steve

The accubond has a harder alloy like a barnes x bullet, some rifles like them some dont. I would try them in any gun capable of pushing them 3300 plus they seem to work better over that speed for me.

"winnie", I shoot the 110 Accubond in my 257Wby and I couldn't be happier. It groups well and the terminal performance is outstanding!!! d-a is correct too, it needs to be shot in excess of 3300 to stabilize well. Try substituting the 110 Accb for your 115 Ballistic Silvertip. You could probably add about 1 or 2 more grains of powder if needed but do it carefully. I think you will find the Accubond to do what you need it to do very well.
Good shooting,
Jim

I've been shooting the 115 Nosler baltip in both of my .257 Weatherby's (Lazermark [japan] and Lightweight [USA]). I have had NO issues with the Nosler 115 Baltip at >3450 fps on antelope and mule deer from 100 to >400 yards.
I took a BIG caribou this year at 336 yards with 1 shot high into the off shoulder, bullet core did seperate from jacket found in the off shoulder. Dropped in his tracks, he did not know the core seprated. Shot first caribou at 125yrds in the ribs and exited the animal, very pronounced blood trail for 40 yards to the animal. I've been shooting this bullet for over 10 years and have had no issues as previously stated. Yes you will damage alot of meat if you take the midshoulder shot...you are shooting WEATHERBY Magnum! Why change what works?! I use H-1000 powder in both loadings w/215M primers.
Good luck with the other bullets. I'd be interested in yuor results.

Hopefully I have some usefull info for you... I had a 257 wm and I shot an antelope with it at 427 yds. HUUUUGE hole. It was a frontal shot(not prefered and looking back wouldnt do it again.) and left a basketball size chunk missing from front shoulder. I also worked for nosler. The 257 accubond is going to be your best bet. They are infact softer than most bullets because they actually get annealed during the bonding process. This makes them foul worse also. But you wont find a bullet design that outperforms. I wish I could say different.(VERY BAD FEELINGS TWORDS MANAGEMENT) After seeing what all bullets look like inside and how they perform in gelletin and on game. My money still supports my least favorite people. As for any bullet any calliber any cartridge, your going to find bad experiences. The trick is to pick A setup and use it under the conditions it was designed for. nosler BTs great for perfect behind the shoulder shots. Very fast fatality. Add bone things get bad. Use an A frame or other partitioned bullet, it will act better against bone, but wont kill as fast if bone isnt involved. Good luck with your search for knowledge. By the way I shoot a 300 ultra mag and am building another 257 wm. I like tuff bullets and fast and flat guns.

Jason

winnie, I use 68grs. of RL22. It is a relatively mild load that gives me 3468 fps, but shoots very well for me. A person I met on one of these forums sent me a formula for determining the velocity needed to stabilize bullets that uses the weight and length of said bullet and the twist of your particular barrel. For me it said that I needed to shoot it about 3300fps minimum. In working up loads I verified that the formula seemed to work as stated. Anyhoo....that's my load. Hope it will lead to a good one for you. Good shooting,
Jim

Right now I use 96 grns of vv n165 and 180 accubonds. But its alot of preasure and alot of cleaning on stock remington crap barrel(fouls bad 10 shots and preasure go through the roof). I like the way 200 grnrs act alot better, but the seat way to far in the bullet to get vellocities that make them worth shooting. So I ordered another barrel with 10 twist and an extended mag to get my bullet out abit further to lessen preasure. This way I can shoot 200 grn accubonds or smks for paper and practice. Both bullets have about same ogive and BC in reallitiy. I will try H1000 again it worked pretty well before.

Ill get back to you with results....
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts