257 Weatherby Magnum..advice please

scotsgun

Folks,

I'm thinking of building a rifle in 257 Weatherby Magnum for long range varmint and small deer.
Essentially i've come into possession of a 25cal (257) match grade barrel blank with 1 in 10 twist and thought it would be fun to match it to a proven 30-06 type action (sako, tikka, maybe mauser clone) resulting in a calibre new to me and unusual in the UK.

I already own a tikka M65 in 25-06 which i love.

Does anyone own a 257 Weatherby Magnum or can offer some advice?

Thanks

Marc

You need a magnum bolt face. You will enjoy the 257 wby. It is fast and accurate. I load a 100 grain swift scirroco .429 bc at 3780 fps. It is deadly on deer and antelope and a lazer to 650 or so yards.

Nothing against the 257 Wby. Have you thought about the 25 Pronghorn or the 25/300 wsm. If you are going to need a magnum bolt head. Brass is a lot more available. All of this assumes that your reload and want to tinker with a wildcat. You can have the same velocity maybe more without the name.

21 buck, i've never heard of either calibre.

I must admit that with the exception on my 25-06, i haven't dabbled at all with .25 calibres. I'm a completely open book and willing to consider any .25 calibre. I'd just like to use the barrel to build a long range varmint & smaller deer rifle - something out to say 600-700yds.

Thanks for the advice guys - keep it coming :D

Nothing against the 257 Wby. Have you thought about the 25 Pronghorn or the 25/300 wsm. If you are going to need a magnum bolt head. Brass is a lot more available. All of this assumes that your reload and want to tinker with a wildcat. You can have the same velocity maybe more without the name.
I just had a 25 Bobcat built this spring AKA 25 pronghorn , 25/300. It will perform right with the 257 whby which i also own 2 of. I actually got 3800 fps with the speer 100 gr. fb. was little hot and backed off. I currently have an extractor problem and getting a sako installed then i will post pics, etc.
mike

Scotsgun, I am building a 25 /300wsm, aka 25 Pronghorn. Google 25 Pronghorn or the 25/300 wsm. Sure it is different, burns about the same amount of powder. the velocity is about the same. Case price?? now you are talking diference, However, the resizing dies may cost a bit more . There is no belted case. It is a wildcat with speed, accuracy, and it is almost personalized. It is a 257 caliber, same as 25-06,250-3000. Same bullet but totally different velocity range.

Scotsgun, I am building a 25 /300wsm, aka 25 Pronghorn. Google 25 Pronghorn or the 25/300 wsm. Sure it is different, burns about the same amount of powder. the velocity is about the same. Case price?? now you are talking diference, However, the resizing dies may cost a bit more . There is no belted case. It is a wildcat with speed, accuracy, and it is almost personalized. It is a 257 caliber, same as 25-06,250-3000. Same bullet but totally different velocity range.
Dont believe the loading data published on the 25 pronghorn article
mike

#1 The wsm calibers will not compete with the wby calibers. The 25-300 wsm will not shoot with the 257 wby safely.
#2 Get remington 270 wby brass and neck it to 257. Same thing but cheap remington brass.

I lost count many years ago of people bringing short mags of all calibers to my range claiming they would shoot with a wby. The chronograph does not lie. I remember one guy just would not give up and sat in my shop loading 270 wsm's all day until he nearly blew his rifle up trying to get near one of my 270 wby's. Two completely different animals. They are not the same in 25, 270 or 7mm. Not saying the wsm's aren't good because I own a wsm and love to shoot it. But it is what it is and it will not duplicate my wby's.

Scotsgun, Want an opinion, this forum will shoot straight literally. Sure everyone has their opinion and experience that is how we achieved the goals of Long Range hunting. Look at the options, evaluate, and know that you are informed. Whatever you choose we hope that you are pleased with the results. Good Shooting and hunting.

lol - no hassle 21 buck. It's your opinions i'm seeking. We just don't get the oppertunity to experiment and develop like you guys do - i'd much rather seek your opinions, guys who have actual experience than reading the excert from the most recent magazine.

I can get reloading info, dies and brass for the 257 weatherby mag and thanks for the tip about re-sizing the cheaper 270wm , but i can't seem to source any info (especially reloading) on the 25-300wsm.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Scotsgun, the 25/300wsm, aka 25 Pronghorn, 25 Bobcat can be found by a google search on your computer. It is a wildcat. There are no published documents, you can not buy the complete cartridge, a lot of the loads have been built up by individuals who venture beyond what they read. in other words, they experiement of course they do so carefully with good starting points. Rifles vary in what they will digest and print. So each rifle is a individual entity with quirks for powder, primer, bullets of varying weights. You have 25-06 the 25 Pronghorn is the magnum version of it. We have test fired my rifle several times before we start working up the loads. We expect it to be a great varmit, deer, and hog round.

Go thru google.com with the above subjects and you should get the data you are searching for.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts