257 weatherby mag

I shoot Barnes 100gr TSXs with 72grs of RL22 for 3725fps. It's a hot load and RL22 is temperture sensitive so when the temperture gets a little high I get high pressure signs. I'm thinking I'll try some MagPro like LTLR uses.

so i just finished loading 115gr NBT's 6 each over 63.5, 64 and 64.5. CCI 250's to get things started. I will let you know how it comes out.

Let me know how it works out. 71 grains is max so watch for pressure.

I will let you know. It won't be for a week or so, I don't have a lot of spare time this week. I tried 3.340 OAL with the 110gr Accubonds with 72gr of H1000, and 69gr of RL22. I hope that these will group as I really like the Accubonds in my other rifles. So far almost all bullets tried with several different powders, and different OAL's seem to barrely fit inside an 8" circle at 100yds. That was after I took it to the gunsmith and had the barrel free floated. Never had one that was so hard to get to shoot well.

Thanks again.:)

So, I was at the range today. Shot my 257 WBY loads that I made up. Shot each load, got to 64 gr and was able to get 3/4" group at 100. Shot the 64.5 gr loads, got a decent group as well. Went back to the 64's to see if I could sight in, and the grouping went away, way away. I was letting the gun cool between bursts and shooting my rimfires. I know the barrel was holding some heat, may have something to do with it, not sure. To throw in an odd event that occurred at the same time, my 270 win also shot a decent group and then the went to pot when I picked it back up. Maybe it was me, but this is the second time I had this happen to me at the range, only last time I never got a decent group at all. Maybe a temp thing, was cold when i arrived and warmed up as the day progressed. HELP!!!

I have loaded as high as 68.5grns at 3.325" without issues, but id start at around 60 and go up 1 grn at a time till you feel snug bolt lift, that's the best way to find pressure in a weatherby chambering. Remember roy weatherby designed these in the 40s when surplus 4350 was one of the slowest powders, they like faster powders more so than what most people think. Be careful though they due like to run high pressures with factory freebore.

so I am bumming around on the internet this a.m. and found an article in shooting times. It seems like a great a story but I noted an extreme difference in one area, OAL. I noted that the author is loading 115 NBT's to 3.160. It is very short. I set one in an already fired case and measured it and it is way down there. He noted in the article that he had tried to load out more towards the lands with decreased accuracy. I am going to try it just to see how it works. If anyone has tried any lengths close to that, let me know.

I can tell you how to duplicate the factory weatherby 115nbt loads, its 67.5 grns MRP 3.210" oal and since they have their own primer you will have to subsitute Fed215Ms and use a .002" roll crimp, note this load runs well over book max pressure(about k psi) but weatherby sells them like that and they shoot well, another note, this was as of 3 years ago, may have changed but with a 26" barrel they will go through the chrony at over 3400fps.

I can tell you how to duplicate the factory weatherby 115nbt loads, its 67.5 grns MRP 3.210" oal and since they have their own primer you will have to subsitute Fed215Ms and use a .002" roll crimp, note this load runs well over book max pressure(about k psi) but weatherby sells them like that and they shoot well, another note, this was as of 3 years ago, may have changed but with a 26" barrel they will go through the chrony at over 3400fps.

thanks for that. I will try it. I am going to have to acquire some MRP. I appreciate the info.

So I went to the range today armed with my 257 WBY loaded with 115 NBT's backed with 64 gr's of RL22 which is the same load I tried before. I did however change the OAL to 3.165, much shorter than my previous load. I have to say I was impressed by the change. First two touching, third was just off. After the third one, however, I noted that it started to spread exreme. I think it may be the forearm touching the barrel when it warms up. I plan to have the action bedded and free float the barrel. Any other ideas? Ice cold barrel and it shoots under an inch, a little heat and I am all over the place.

3.265 was my previous OAL.

Last edited:
So I went to the range today armed with my 257 WBY loaded with 115 NBT's backed with 64 gr's of RL22 which is the same load I tried before. I did however change the OAL to 3.165, much shorter than my previous load. I have to say I was impressed by the change. First two touching, third was just off. After the third one, however, I noted that it started to spread exreme. I think it may be the forearm touching the barrel when it warms up. I plan to have the action bedded and free float the barrel. Any other ideas? Ice cold barrel and it shoots under an inch, a little heat and I am all over the place.

3.265 was my previous OAL.

If you get two touching and one just off, I would call that good enough for a hunting rifle. Thin barreled Weatherby's heat up fast so bedding with Devcon steel 10110 will definitely help with that. If you can put the first cold bore shot where you want it now, it really doesn't matter where the 4th and 5th shots go on a hunting rifle. When developing a load for my weatherby, I let it cool 5 minutes between each shot witht he bolt open.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.