.257 Weatherby Mag load data

drill1

Hello guys, I'm new to the sight and hope I'm putting this in the correct forum. I'm also new to long range shooting.
I stumbled across this sight looking for some loads for my 257 Weatherby Mag. It was a regular Remington 700 CDL I had for a few years. Deciy to have it made over. I'm basically having it senderoized with a faster 1-7.5 twist rate for shooting the heavier, 128 grain hammers and 131 grain black Jacks.

Barrel life is probably not a factor as this rifle will just be used for hunting but I do want to practice with it enough to get comfortable shooting at game out to 600 yards max.

I am having a hard time trying to find load data for this set up and was just wondering if someone on here has a start up load for these heavier bullets and what stats are you getting with them.

Thanks

Go to the Absolute Hammer Load Data and Hammer Hunter Load data threads. Spreadsheets are at post #1 and #8
You'll find a bunch of data. Please add yours as a post when you finish. Thanks, and enjoy,!
George

Hello guys, I'm new to the sight and hope I'm putting this in the correct forum. I'm also new to long range shooting.
I stumbled across this sight looking for some loads for my 257 Weatherby Mag. It was a regular Remington 700 CDL I had for a few years. Deciy to have it made over. I'm basically having it senderoized with a faster 1-7.5 twist rate for shooting the heavier, 128 grain hammers and 131 grain black Jacks.

Barrel life is probably not a factor as this rifle will just be used for hunting but I do want to practice with it enough to get comfortable shooting at game out to 600 yards max.

I am having a hard time trying to find load data for this set up and was just wondering if someone on here has a start up load for these heavier bullets and what stats are you getting with them.

Thanks
It's about time you re-engage after all these years! 😇 A belated welcome to LRH, and enjoy it.

Do you already have the barrel made for 1:7.5" and have the 131 BJs? The reason I asked is that the twist recommendation for the 128 HH is 1:7" (not sure if you're able to stabilize it at your altitude) and the 131 BJs have been hard to acquire few months. Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:
Have some Black Jacks on back order. Been on back order for a while. So much so that I'm getting a bit concerned. I have reached out to them via email but have not had a response. I do have some hammers. I guess Berger is still holding out. This was the twist rate recommended by black jack which was the projectile I intended on hunting with.
Rifle should be done by the end of summer. I'll start tinkering a little once it gets cooler down here. If anything else I have a ton of 120 Nosler Partitions. And 117 Berger's.
Do you think the Berger's will hold together in a fast rate like this?

I think you are going to enjoy your new package! I would suggest you buy a reamer to serve your needs.

Several of my friends and myself, a total of five, ordered a custom reamer with far less freebore (.100") and a 1 degree 1/2 min throat angle. After consulting with Dave Kiff and telling him we wanted it for shooting the VLD Berger that is what he recommended.

We all use 1 in 10 twist barrels and exclusively use moly coated 115 Berger VLD hunting bullets, G7 .247. Most of us use RL-25. H1000 works but doesn't optimize velocity. RL-33 has very similar velocities to RL-25. We are getting 3600 to 3700 depending on the barrel length, 26-28". The powder charge is very close to what Nosler says is the top load with their 115 ballistic tip which has more bearing surface.

This combination has yielded us quite a few animals:
27 coues bucks
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 Antelope
two javelina
many jackrabbits and a few coyotes not to mention some squirrels that live in boulder fields around Tucson.

Can't say enough about the bullet. High BC, Flat shooting and usually exits on deer sized animals out to 600 plus yards. Many instant kills.

My rig is setup for coues for 4000 ft elevation. Closest shot in years was just under 300 yds, most are much longer.
3.1" @ 100
5.2" appogee at 250 yds
4.3" high @ 300
zero @ 400
-3.5" @ 450
-8" @ 500 drift in 10 mph crosswind 8.7"

It is your choice on which bullet. Just reporting on what works well for five hunters/rifles.

Have some Black Jacks on back order. Been on back order for a while. So much so that I'm getting a bit concerned. I have reached out to them via email but have not had a response. I do have some hammers. I guess Berger is still holding out. This was the twist rate recommended by black jack which was the projectile I intended on hunting with.
Rifle should be done by the end of summer. I'll start tinkering a little once it gets cooler down here. If anything else I have a ton of 120 Nosler Partitions. And 117 Berger's.
I am currently building a .257 WBTY but still waiting for my barrel delivery. It is 1:7" and primarily built for when the Berger 133 comes out. Meantime, I have some 117 Cayugas (https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/) to try first.

.257 WBY Cayuga 117 1 of 2.jpg

(100 SP factory ammo vs 117 Cayuga)

Last edited:
I have a 1-7.5 twist on mine that was chambered with the Blackjack reamer. I had better luck with the 121 Hammer then the Blackjack. I worked up a load with N-570 that I will probably use on deer this year.
If you have a shorter freebore you need to start low and work up. You can get pressure quicker. Be safe and enjoy.

All good info guys. Appreciate all the input. I'll be taking it all into account when rifle finally gets built. In the mean time I'm thinking about putting in some foldable custom shooting rests in my 4X6 rifle blind in prep of some of the longer pipe line and sendero shots in South Texas.

I would give the 117 gr Hammer absolutes a try recommended twist 1-8.5 I Don't see it listed for some reason but it is available I'm finishing a 25-284 build tomorrow and plan on using the 90 gr hammer absolutes ia 1-8 twist maybe the 117 gr just too see how fast I can drive them in a 25-284

Have all my parts minus stock I have a 700 Stainless action Rock creek C/F barrel 1-7 twist Trigger tech trigger and just got my reamer from Manson's built to blackjack specs. I want to run hammer bullets tho. My dang stock cant get here fast enough.

I already have 117, 121 and 128 gr hammers sitting on the reloading bench. I to am on the wait back ordered blackjack bullets for about 5 months now no word.

Thanks

Sounds like a fun build, plus with one of my all time fav rounds. What big game will you be using it for and to what ranges on a consistent basis?