257 Weatherby availability

Krumfola

Maybe I'm late to the game and stating the obvious but has anyone else noticed the complete lack of availability of 257 Weatherby ammo?

I load everything I shoot and it would be no different with this round but before jump into a new rifle and cartridge I'd like to at least know that components/ammo are available. What gives?

A 257 Weatherby is a handloaders cartridge, factory ammo is costly and I believe is the sole reason for the 257 Weatherby not being more popular than it is, right along with all the other Weatherby's. I shoot Weatherby's but I have never shot factory ammo through them. There are a couple store's in Texas that have tons of Weatherby ammo www.carterscountry.net

OUr local Cabelas in GB WI has it on the shelf. Wether you reload or not the Wthby is expensive to shoot. I have a 257 and found loaded rounds for the same price as empty brass. THey average about $2/round. Great caliber, just pricey to shoot.

it along with the other weatherby rounds are about must handload rounds. I just couldnt afford to buy them even if they were all over the place. 3 bucks or more a pop doesnt fit my retired income.

If you need cheaper rounds you can use 7mm mag brass to form 257 Weatherby just run them through your dies and load em just a bit lighter and once fired they are ok to load normal, the only drawback if you call it that is they will have a slightly shorter neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.