257 Weatherby availability

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Krumfola, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Krumfola

Krumfola Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm late to the game and stating the obvious but has anyone else noticed the complete lack of availability of 257 Weatherby ammo?

I load everything I shoot and it would be no different with this round but before jump into a new rifle and cartridge I'd like to at least know that components/ammo are available. What gives?

2. Jim in Cali

Jim in Cali Well-Known Member

A 257 Weatherby is a handloaders cartridge, factory ammo is costly and I believe is the sole reason for the 257 Weatherby not being more popular than it is, right along with all the other Weatherby's. I shoot Weatherby's but I have never shot factory ammo through them. There are a couple store's in Texas that have tons of Weatherby ammo www.carterscountry.net

3. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

OUr local Cabelas in GB WI has it on the shelf. Wether you reload or not the Wthby is expensive to shoot. I have a 257 and found loaded rounds for the same price as empty brass. THey average about $2/round. Great caliber, just pricey to shoot.

4. lloydsmale

lloydsmale Well-Known Member

it along with the other weatherby rounds are about must handload rounds. I just couldnt afford to buy them even if they were all over the place. 3 bucks or more a pop doesnt fit my retired income.

5. Jim in Cali

Jim in Cali Well-Known Member

If you need cheaper rounds you can use 7mm mag brass to form 257 Weatherby just run them through your dies and load em just a bit lighter and once fired they are ok to load normal, the only drawback if you call it that is they will have a slightly shorter neck.