257 weatherby 100 gr sierra sbt

Iorn,

72-73g of R#22 with a federal 215, should shoot very tiny groups. I have had six of these rifles, even zero freebore barrels with custom reamers with slightly shorter necks to use Win 7 Mag brass in.

Ok, start your load development at 71g of R#22 with fed 215. I seated the bullets .010 off the lands, and shot small groups with only 12 rounds of load development.

With Zero freebore barrels I have had, 71.0,71.5, or 72g of R#22 with a 215 shot very tiny groups.

Key, keep the barrel cool with dousing the barrel with rubbing alcohol/Water on a wash cloth or shop towel...you want the water dripping off the bottom of the barrel.

Trigger on the mark V, needs work...address that issue also with gunsmith.

With the 100's, I sighted in 1/2" high at 200, and if memory is right, I was 3.5" low at 300. Lots of crows, coyotes, chucks just blew up. I had another load with the 87g Speer spt at 4130 with AA3100 that is no longer available...tiny groups.

I don't know how long the primer pockets will last. I also made brass from Winchester 7 Mag brass, just ran it through the full length sizer with some good lube, formed perfectly. The necks were a tad shorter, so you will have to watch for a carbon ring in the chamber if you go down this road. Carbon ring will "crimp" the bullet, spiking pressure.

I used this rifle as a hunting rifle, not as a target rifle. Verified zero after the initial load development, then the trigger was only pulled on hair. Zero freebore barrels last a while, unlike the normal throats with .300 freebore.

Best wishes

Spoke to smith about Trigger,he said "He can easily get it down to 2 lbs . I'll always have other rifles with me,so as not to burn this up in a day. Love that AA-2700 in my swift,in fact driving out to Petes tomorrow morning for some fun. But most squirrels will be killed with 17 HMR and 204 ruger.

morning, have 2 custom 257wbee's. weather here in tX.
has been very finicky. one is a wbee or is on a 721 Rem.
LA action. still testing. for sweet spot. looks like
RL-22 is a favorite. use 270wbee brass if I can find. justme gbot tum

The 100 Sierra is a really accurate bullet but in my experience it is way too fragile at Weatherby velocities to use as a deer size game bullet unless the impact is 300 yards or beyond where it has slowed down some. Back when my buddy and I were working with the 257 Weatherby both in a factory rifle and a custom with shorter throat about the only suitable powder was H870. We were mainly concerned with using them on white tail deer over bean fields mostly. We did not have the bonded bullets like today so cup and core or the then coming about mono bullets which were not as reliable as they are today was all we had to work with. We settled on the Nosler 115 Partition as our deer bullet because it worked for close in shots as well as longer rangers.

Another vote for RL 22 and the 215 Feds.
With the 100 grain Sierras (and others) I have used anywhere between 71 - 73 grains and depending on the barrel and exact bullet, they usually get turned loose between 3500fps and 3700 fps.
***Caution 73 grains of RL 22 was too hot in a least one of my barrels.
Gary

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535493 also see link in post #4.
Strange things can happen.:confused:

attachment.php

Barnes 100 gr TTSX
257 weatherby brass
Fed 215
74.2 grs Reloader 25
3675 fps
As always start lower all barrels are different.

Swift's are expensive but no more than .the Barnes .

In 100gr I wouldn't chose a softer bullet

I don't usually think of my weatherby as a high volume range fun so I don't look for a cheaper bullet like I do with some of my other calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.