257 wby

I shoot a Model 56 Cooper in .257WBY. Mine likes RL25 and 100gr GameKings. I use this load on Deer and Antelope. I have also had good results with 115 Berger and RL25.

Guru? Not really. Have used H1000 which is slow but very temp stable. Gravitated to RL-25 and even RL-33 with the heavier bullets in a 257 Weatherby.

I would suggest the 115 Berger but it is a VLD and can be finicky with a factory chamber. (we built 6 rifles with a custom reamer with different throat angle etc and all shoot the VLD well) I would give it a try. If it shoots well the bullet will kill well. The load data from Nosler says 72 grs is max for their 115 ballistic tip. You should be able to do similar with the 115 VLD.

I have taken 12 coues wt and one antelope to date. The other guys have taken another 15 coues, 4 mule deer, 6 elk another antelope and 2 javelina.

The 110 accubond would be a great choice with RL-25. Nosler mentions using RL-25 with the 115 ballistic tip but not the 110 accubond. Max charge weight for 115 is 72 grains. Looking at RL-22 and comparing for 110 and 115 I think you could go up (carefully) to 73-74 of RL-25. Unfortunately my notes on this combination was using Moly coated 110s which is higher.

Lots of folks love the 100 TTSX which will shoot flatter but won't buck the wind quite as well as higher BC bullets.

Thanks for replying. You ARE the .257 Wby Guru.

West Tx Ordnance is currently building me
257 WBY. Stiller action, 1:10 Bartlein barrel, McMillan Game Hunter stock. I hope it shoots the 110 Gr accubonds if not I will be trying the Berger's.

I had my own reamer designed at PTG, zero freebore, throat for what ever I want.

For 100g, I leave the freebore as is, shoot R#22, 215's, bug holes at 3850 out of 26" barrels. The same zero freebore shoots the 115's at 3600.

Groups at 300 were an inch or smaller depending on the wind that day.

I had a 257 wby in a Vanguard S2. My two main loads were 117 gr H. Interlock, with IMR 7977 3320fps, and a 100gr Etip at 3570 with IMR 7977. Both were very accurate. I killed more deer with the Interlock, 10 and none went more than a step before they fell, they just dropped and flopped. Longest shot was a nit over 200 yds, average 120yds.
Since your not after elr range I'd keep em in the back of your mind.
I also worked up great loads with the 115 partition and 115 TSX and they both shot great at around 3250 iir. Lemme know if a want specifics.
For meat saving I say your on the right track with the monos. The sledge hammers should be fine but the heaviest hammer hunter that will stabilize in 1:10 fully is the 92gr. I had emailed back n forth with Steve about this exact thing a few yrs back.

1 of my friends runs a 257 Weatherby,,, He's taken a few provincial record book WT's,,, the other fellow with a 25/06 has a few 60+++ inch Moose from the North West Territories...

I have a sneaking suspicious that I'll end up in one of those categories in the years to come... That's not ruling out the 270 Winchester category either...

Only time will tell,,, I'm running the small brother to one of them in 6.5 A-square... What a dream to shoot...

The lesser of recoil is the part that works for me...

Cheers from the North

110g TTSX in the 270, 58g of R#17 runs 3350-3375 in my 24" factory rifle with Fed 215's, very small groups. Work up to this load in your rifle. H4350 is surely worth a try with this 110g ttsx bullet that is very accurate .050 off the lands

I went from rl25 and 100gr e tip, to h1000 and the 100gr scirocco and never looked back. vel is right at 3450fps, vangaurd 24" tube. Very accurate. This rifle seems to shoot the 100's way better than any other weight.

morning, west german 257wbee Wilson barrel, timney trigger,
H&S, combat stock. Bushnell scope, 100gr. TTSX, RL-22 .
extremely accurate. read about seating depth of bullet.
this is one of the most accurate load I have developed.
justme gbot tum

Guru? Not really. Have used H1000 which is slow but very temp stable. Gravitated to RL-25 and even RL-33 with the heavier bullets in a 257 Weatherby.

I would suggest the 115 Berger but it is a VLD and can be finicky with a factory chamber. (we built 6 rifles with a custom reamer with different throat angle etc and all shoot the VLD well) I would give it a try. If it shoots well the bullet will kill well. The load data from Nosler says 72 grs is max for their 115 ballistic tip. You should be able to do similar with the 115 VLD.

I have taken 12 coues wt and one antelope to date. The other guys have taken another 15 coues, 4 mule deer, 6 elk another antelope and 2 javelina.

The 110 accubond would be a great choice with RL-25. Nosler mentions using RL-25 with the 115 ballistic tip but not the 110 accubond. Max charge weight for 115 is 72 grains. Looking at RL-22 and comparing for 110 and 115 I think you could go up (carefully) to 73-74 of RL-25. Unfortunately my notes on this combination was using Moly coated 110s which is higher.

Lots of folks love the 100 TTSX which will shoot flatter but won't buck the wind quite as well as higher BC bullets.

You know, trustworthy experts/gurus don't proclaim that they're experts/gurus. :). Thanks for your input in the thread Mr. Guru.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.