257 wby. TO HUNT WHITETAILS?

I believe this is the first time I've seen a thread that everybody agreed on. I compare this fine cartridge to the .264 Win Mag. They are in the same neighborhood, and that's a really good neighborhood to be in!

Lung shots will nearly eliminate meat damage on whitetails.

Good hunting, Tom

I have a couple 26" Accumarks in 257Wby. Both will send out Partitions at 3700 and 75grain V-Max's at 3950. A 30" barrel will add 200-250 fps to this. A 24" 257Wby has a hard time getting 3600 out of 100 grain bullets.

I think you will have a very hard time getting 4000+ out of a 24" barrel no matter how much powder you put behind it. If I was forced to build on a 24" barrel I would do up a 25-06AI. I have one of those on a Ruger and it does 3550 with 100 grain Partitions and 3850 with the 75 grain V-Max's. Being it's an Ackley design you really don't have to form the brass. I load my full spec loads in regular brass and go hunting. I only bring it out if the weather is really foul.

Great cartridge, but I've come to really hate the Mk V action that Weatherby puts out. Can't get mine to shoot right. If you can get it in a M700 or M70 action, go for it.

What don't you like about one of the strongest, truest, safest, smoothest factory actions produced that comes with a trigger capable of being adjusted to less than a pound right out of the box?

HG, it's a long story and I don't feel like typing that much. Bottom line is after 2 trips with my 257 Weatherby Deluxe to the Authorized Weatherby Repair Center the rifle still shot like crap (3-4" groups at 100yds). Not to mention that they had the rifle for a total of 3 months! Took things into my own hands and played with the pressure point. Still bad and now they wouldn't touch it. Wanted me to buy a new stock. Decided to rebarrel the action with a Broughton (factory barrel had the second worst tooling marks the smith had ever seen) and put an Accumark stock on it. Much better, but still not a "shooter".

Also had a 300 Wby that wasn't quite as bad, but not good. Sold it.

To be honest, I really do like the Mk V action. It is smooth, heavy and looks good to boot. But for the money they charge and the performance you get (at least what I got) I think it's a joke. There are much better values out there that perform better. They are beautiful rifles, but I've shot enough now that my admiration goes beyond looks anymore.

I'm not sure what to say. I only have personal experience with exactly 25 Mark 5's and every one of them was or is Sub MOA out of the box. All mine shoot under 1/2" easy. I really want a custom built on one but can't bring mywself to take any rifle apart that shoots so good. The trouble is other than Rugers and Savages all the other rifle brands cost just as much to build on. To those that say they can build up a 700 or 70 for less, no thanks. Sendero's are as much as what I paid for my Accumarks and by the time I get one of them equal to my Accumark I will have twice as much in it. I have one in my safe right now that I was considering buying but he has over $2000 in it and he hasn't set a price on it yet. It's really nice and I believe it is a shooter but haven't done any serious shooting with it yet. It only has 20-30 shots through it.

I have finally decided I will only build my dream custom on a purely aftermarket custom action. I'm kind of waiting to see what Kirby's new action will be like. Otherwise I will use one of the other customs. I would settle for a Mark 5 if I could find one for sale at a decent price. I also like the new Sako actions but they cost more than a Weatherby.

HG, I know all factory makers have problems, but what irritated me was the way they handled it. On the first return, the gunsmith had it nearly 2 months. When it was returned, the only thing done was a crown job. I ran factory and numerous handloads through it and still got terrible results. THe second trip to the Weatherby gunsmith lasted about a month. When I got it back the only thing done was the application of some funky green bedding near the lug. It wasn't even placed entirely around the lug recess, yet alone the whole action. Still shot terrible with factory and handloads. At this point, I was disgusted and floated the barrel myself to see what would happen. Didn't help and didn't hurt. However, Weatherby refused to honor the warranty any longer because I modified the stock. They wanted me to first buy another stock before they would work on it.

At this point, I was really irritated. If the rifle didn't have sentimental value, it would have been holding up plants in the garden. So, I shipped it to a very reputable smith and had it overhauled (new barrel, fiberglass stock, and bedding). Only thing I didn't have him do was true the action because of the difficulty with all the small lugs. He could have done it, but I'm not certain it would have been worth it. Anyway, the rifle shoots better now, but not great considering the money put into it.

That's my long story. I wish I could love this rifle, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my pocket. For the money I have in it, a custom built Rem or Win would have saved me money and shot much better. I know they aren't all like that, but that is just my experience. The 257 Wby chambering is awesome though. I would get another rifle built around that cartridge in a heartbeat.

Sorry to hear you had problems with that Weatherby.
I just got a Vanguard Deluxe in .257 Wby Mag specifically for it's long range performance on antelope and mulies. The high quality of the factory ammo precedes it, so while pricey, is welcome.
This is a gun I'm putting some money and work into as my shooting reaches out further and further.

I read the posts with great interest. I am going to buy an Mark v accumark 257 in LH this spring. Being LH really limits the rifles available to me. I really like the 257 calliber. I was going to order an sub moa with a 26" barrel with a brake. I shoot a 300 win with no brake but want this gun to be a real quiet shooter where i can see the reaction from the deer/coyote in the scope. Since i live in Can this will cost me just over 2k :eek:so i hope i dont get a lemon.

Thanks

I don't know you will be seeing any impacts without a brake in an Accumark. A 257Wby is a pretty lively round. Both my 257Wby Accumarks kick harder than my 300Wby Accumark with the factory Accubrake. My 300 is so sweet with the brake my 257 never gets out anymore. My son doesn't want a brake but my 257 isn't going anywhere again until it gets a brake. I like to spot my shots too!

Thanks Hired Gun. Thats exactly what i needed to know.:D I didnt want to ask it direcly because i didnt want to hijack the thread. I was still unsure on the brake since i never have shot a 257 and dont know anybody who has one. I will now order it with the brake forsure.:)

Thanks again.

I read the posts with great interest. I am going to buy an Mark v accumark 257 in LH this spring. Being LH really limits the rifles available to me. I really like the 257 calliber. I was going to order an sub moa with a 26" barrel with a brake. I shoot a 300 win with no brake but want this gun to be a real quiet shooter where i can see the reaction from the deer/coyote in the scope. Since i live in Can this will cost me just over 2k :eek:so i hope i dont get a lemon.

Thanks

You can buy LH Weatherbys all day long off of GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction or AuctionArms.com - Online Gun Auction in any calibre you have the cash for.

The 2008 Wby catalog is very very limited on NEW guns made LH. I guess Ed don't like LHanders any more. Funny cause he lives on the left coast and does bidness there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.