257 wby mag

elkcountry

why do weatherby rifles have so much free bore that you can't seat bullets close to the
lands like bullet manufactures recommend.

why do weatherby rifles have so much free bore that you can't seat bullets close to the
lands like bullet manufactures recommend.

So you can have slightly more powder in the case before you get to maximum pressure and thus get higher velocity.

Also because freebore helps reduce chamber pressures and throat erosion.

It also allows you to seat bullets at magazine length without your rifle being picky about seating depth.

May i tag a related question to the post?

Is the Weatherby Freebore the same thing as Throating by another name?

Brit.

May i tag a related question to the post?

Is the Weatherby Freebore the same thing as Throating by another name?

Brit.

Yes. If your gunsmith has a throating reamer in that caliber, he can give more free bore by removing some of the lands. I had this done to my 338 Win Mag. so I can seat the longer projectiles out much further, use a few more grains of powder and get higher velocities as the Model 70 magazine is nice and long once the spacer is removed. If the magazine doesn't allow you to seat the projectiles out further, throating can allow you to get higher velocities with slightly more powder, but sometimes accuracy may suffer as the projectiles are further from the lands.

Hi guys thanks for your replies that info helped lots.

I came across some info info in my quest for better accuracy of my 257 wby
I load barnes 100 gr tsx bullets with a coal of 3.160'' as per barnes reloading
manual # 4 .
I decided to buy a box of wby tsx cartridges to see if they would give beter accuracy and I noticed the bullets were seated to 3.120'' why would wby
do this and is my accuracy problem because i'm seating my bullets to far
out.
p/s I haven't tryed to shoot the factory ammo yet

XXX are picky about depth. .050" is normal from lands. Load up some between and see what works. It's the only way you will know....
What load are you running now? Have always had great luck with 72g of RL22. 215M and the 100's...

The Nosler 110 Acubonds shoot well also...

Triple shocks do like a long jump. I think they actually state no less than .050 to be safe pressure wise.

My favorite deer rifle is my Mark 5 Accumark in 257Wby. The free bore in a Weatherby isn't a concern. My 257 shoots a couple loads into the .2's. It likes the 75 grain VMax's at 3950 fps and the Nosler 110 Accubonds at 3450 fps.

It's not like the bullet is jumping unsupported. It is well supported and just gets a running start at the rifling. If revolvers can do it with their sloppy tolerances no reason a precision job in a rifle won't work.

Just looking but never actually measured the 300 RUM seems to be just as much freebore . Don't get sucked into someone trying to "make it better" by doing one with no free bore. A local guy had a Winchester Model 70 rebarreled in 257Wby with no free bore and it lasted about 3 shots with factory ammo before it blew up destroying everything including embedding a bit of metal in his face.

Weatherby makes for a pretty good shooter right out of the box and they respond favorably to simple accuracy mods.

Triple shocks do like a long jump. I think they actually state no less than .050 to be safe pressure wise.

My favorite deer rifle is my Mark 5 Accumark in 257Wby. The free bore in a Weatherby isn't a concern. My 257 shoots a couple loads into the .2's. It likes the 75 grain VMax's at 3950 fps and the Nosler 110 Accubonds at 3450 fps.

It's not like the bullet is jumping unsupported. It is well supported and just gets a running start at the rifling. If revolvers can do it with their sloppy tolerances no reason a precision job in a rifle won't work.

Just looking but never actually measured the 300 RUM seems to be just as much freebore . Don't get sucked into someone trying to "make it better" by doing one with no free bore. A local guy had a Winchester Model 70 rebarreled in 257Wby with no free bore and it lasted about 3 shots with factory ammo before it blew up destroying everything including embedding a bit of metal in his face.

Weatherby makes for a pretty good shooter right out of the box and they respond favorably to simple accuracy mods.

My Weatherby is also an Accumark .257 Wby Mag. Awesome deer rifle! Mine likes the 110 NAB's and 115 Bergers. Probably one of the best whitetail calibers ever invented...Right up there with a .280 Ackley Improved.

If people think they're weak, shoot a full water bottle @ 100 yards with a 110 NAB...Then you might rethink the .257 caliber's ability.

I do need to bed my recoil lug. I'm getting 3/4-1 MOA average, but it should be getting ALOT better than that. So, I'm gonna bed the recoil lug and see if I can get her down to 1/4-1/2 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.