.257 wby mag build

Bigunms

Gents,

I picked up a NIB Weatherby Vanguard Series I in .257 wby mag for $250. The one with the crappy black plastic stock. Ive always wanted a rifle in this caliber and I've also have been wanting a nice, lightweight "mountain" rifle. There is also a chance that I will get to go to Kazakhstan to hunt Ibex in the next 2 years so I thought why not.

I'm willing to put up to $2500 including optics into the build. Maybe a little more if I need to.

1. The trigger is nice enough for hunting so I'm okay there. If I do replace twith an aftermarket triiger these are made by Howa correct? Which brand would you recommend?
2. Even though I haven't shot it yet, the stock has got to go. When replaced I will have it properly bedded. Have you had good luck with the B&C Medalist that is on the newer Weatherbys? Should I just spring for the McMillan Edge?
3. I'm hoping after the stock mods the gun will shoot well. The barrel is only a 24". Any reason to go ahead and replace with a 26"? I'm guessing I'm only giving up 75 fps, but that is a wild, unqualified guess.
4. Keeping in mind I want to keep this as lightweight as possible for its intended purpose, what scope would you suggest? You think a Nightforce 2.5-10 compact is too heavy?

I have some answers to this build as I have the same action / caliber.
  • I ordered a 2 stag Rifle Basix trigger and love it,
  • Put this action in Walnut Sporter Boyd's stock piller & bedded.
  • Shooting Seirra 117's I am avg 3186 FPS.
Great shooting gun and puts the smack-down on everything I put the scope on.

Last 3 shot group at 100

Attachments

• 257Wby_117.jpg
    257Wby_117.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
You can adjust the factory trigger down between 2 and 2.5 lbs, if you don't like that Timney and Rifle Basix are good triggers, I'm a rifle Basix fan myself but a lot like the Timney. The Bell and Carlson Medalist is a great choice, yeah the McMillan is better but for your purpose I would spend the extra 400 some where else. Buy a good 1 piece base and Warne, TPS, or Burris tactical rings. Scope wise i'd go for a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 with the rapid z 800 reticle. It should be a shooter, I've had great luck with the vanguards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.