257 Wby for Caribou

Freebore

I have used my 7 Rem Mag and big 30 on caribou in past. Has anyone used this cartridge for 'bou? Ballistic programs show 257 is close to the 7. I'm looking for field experiences.

My son used his .257 Weatherby on a couple of hunts in northern Quebec with excellent results. His longest shot was over 500 yards and the bull dropped like a stone. The guides felt that this was as good as any cartridge that they had seen up there. Bullets were 100 grain Hornadys and the ones we recovered were perfect mushrooms. Fast and flat, with good hitting energy.

Freebore,

Use a quality bullet, the closer the impact the stouter you will need, and the 257 WBY will perform extremely well on bou as has already been stated. The new 110 gr Accubond would be hard to beat for a commercial bullet. Personally I would use the 130 gr Bonded Core FBHP Wildcat Bullet. Which performs extremely well in most 1-10 twist barrels.

Kirby Allen(50)

Freebore,

If you get some of these bullets I could work you up a starting load easy enough with several differnet powders.

Let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
The .257 Wthrby did perform very well at 337 yards, neck shot. I used loads I had put together w/the 115 Btips. Jacketing did seperate from the core. I found the jacket in the off shoulder it had broken. As you can see it was a very nice bull dropped where he is laying. Lake Minto Bull click here

Freebore,

That is a HUGE bull. Congrats!!! Any score measurements yet??

Great throphy!!!

Did you hire a guide service or was this a do it yourself hunt? I am really interested in going on a bou hunt. Just have to book it and go. Any information would be great on your hunt.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
The bull measured 436.5" thru the velvet after 12.75" of deduction. I'm not stripping antler just to put in the book.
They also had to be split to put in the freeze dryer. We measured before splitting.
The outfitter was Tuttulik Outfitters, 4 on 1, great area for longgunning, Lake Minto region, n/e of the Hudson about 100/150 miles Next time I'm taking the big 30 and sitting behind camp and thermos of coffee. If you kill them on the camp side of lake you can get the 4 wheeler to them.
Tuttulik Outfitters
Great hunt, nice people, I like to do my own work most of the time, butchering (butcher in camp) and vacuum packing on site then put in freezer to cool down for shipping back home, nice. It got terrible hot there 82 deg. I lost one of my capes, not the big guy. You can only bring out 120-130 lbs. (4 quarters, 4 backstraps, 3 fish, 10 ptarmigan, 2 sets of antlers, 1 cape. I had a nother guy carry the other cape for me that I was hunting with.)
I saw only 2 cows and over 750 bulls!! Camp tagged out the second day, I killed the big guy the afternoon of the second day.

The booking agent in the USA is Greg Bonecutter 'Boney' out of Tenn. Great guy to deal with, a bow hunter who welcomes gun hunters. He won't be back until end Sept as he is in camp all of Sept. (getting me another cape for the one that spoiled.)
Fantastic lake trout fishing. Pending which camp, brookies too. We did not have access to brookies at our camp, camp Min

This was my third time up and the second time getting 2 bulls. I have the horror stories in between if you want to here them. In the past 4 years I had spent 5500+ and never left the US.!! Until this past hunt I swore I would never go back BUT after this hunt I'll go in a heartbeat with Tuttulik.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.