257 wby experience

Bearman375

Hey guys I got a badass 257 Wby Weathermark I bought from the new factory in Sheridan, I put a 4.5x14 leupold on it, I love the gun, currently shooting 100 grain TTSX at max with r-22...heres my question, anyone shooting the 80 grain TTSX? If so, any kill stories and such? I'm not looking for advice on loads etc, I'm happy with the 100 grain but I just want to know about the 80 grain, thanks....pic of my gun

Attachments

• 62BA2957-1697-4B94-AE05-B67B2FB8FE0E.jpeg
    62BA2957-1697-4B94-AE05-B67B2FB8FE0E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
In my experience people either love or hate the Barnes for one reason or another. I've never brought myself to try them due to price. Since you are already using them I'd say try it out and see what you think.

Performance-wise id say expect the same as the 100s but that may or may not be true in Weatherby speeds.

Just my .02

In my experience people either love or hate the Barnes for one reason or another. I've never brought myself to try them due to price. Since you are already using them I'd say try it out and see what you think.

Performance-wise id say expect the same as the 100s but that may or may not be true in Weatherby speeds.

Just my .02
Thanks, I'm just looking to see if anyone has any kills they would share

Not from a .257 Wby, but from a .240 Wby. I shot this doe in Texas last year at about 125 yds using 6mm 80gr TTSX at around 3600fps. She dropped like a rock right on the spot. I didn't get a photo of the exit wound, but it was about a quarter sized hole just behind the opposite shoulder.

Attachments

• doe.jpg
    doe.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
My two biggest deer fell 36 hours apart in two different states to a .257 Wby Vanguard with 100 gr TTSX. I wasn't even aware they made an 80gr version. Whatever you would gain in speed really isn't needed and it would give up that speed pretty quickly with a lower BC.

The Barnes is paired well to those extreme velocities but it takes a hellacious quantity of powder to get that speed. In my mind it makes sense to use a bullet that will retain that advantage at distance. There aren't many great bullets in .257 for true long-range stuff.

I really like Barnes, but with them I prefer through-shoulder shots. They don't destroy much meat compared to others I've used. I've only ever recovered one bullet (.308 180 gr TTSX) and is was under the skin on the far side of an eland bull.

I use them in a 25-06 26" @ 3,820fps, and so far, they have killed everything I have shot with them. I love the speed for deer and smaller game, and they have not destroyed as much meat as some cup-n-core bullets have.
However while most DRT, a couple of longer chest shots have not dropped as quick as with lead expanding. Nonetheless, they did die in short order.

80 ttsx , from my 24'' barrel Rem. 700 leads me to believe it might have peeled the petals off due to the high velocity at 80-90 yard hit on the shoulder of a hog . Nickel size exit wound - no blood coming from the exit hole - hog took one or two little lunges forward and flopped over and kicked a few times .
They're a very accurate bullet w/H-4831sc for my barrel .

I do the non gutting method of filleting a critter - so I'm only speculating about the petals - plus I've read and seen pics of torn off petals coming off of Barnes bullets at high impact speeds - so . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.