257 wby COAL with 110gr accubonds and 100gr barnes ttsx

cb4128

I'm about to start reloading for my Ruger No 1 in 257 weatherby. I haven't been able to locate a modified case yet, so I was hoping to get a head start on popular COAL for these bullets I'm going to load - 110gr nosler accubonds and 100gr barnes ttsx.

Nosler load data shows a COAL of 3.210" - that's where I was going to start unless I get some better feedback here.

Thanks for the help!

cb4128,

Do you have the tools (comparator & digital caliper) to measure the case base to bullet ogive measurement also called CBTO (case base to ogive)?

This is a more meaningful than COAL if you are trying to reload for accuracy as it accounts for bullet variations. and their affect on rifling engagement distance.

You control this distance with your bullet seating depth.

Sorry if I just shared information you are already familiar with.

Yah I do but don't have a modified case, so was trying to get some popular COAL's or distance to the ogive - either one is helpful

on mine i started at max COAL you will never find the lands as the factory's free bore runs half the length of the barrel, so i went from that number a little closer to but still fit in magwell

I'm loading my 257wby nos 100 bt at 3.350.
Just barely seat a bullet in a sized case. Use finger to push in chamber. Use a cleaning rod to push back out. Find lands doing that. Then you don't wast a case.

Your Ruger maybe different but my weatherby rifle. Has a massive amount of free bore. I seated a bullet like .002 in case. Couldn't touch lands.

If you can touch lands. 75 thousands off is good starting point. I load 3 different rifles with ttsx bullets. All of them shoot best right at the 75k mark.

Its unlikely you'll find the lands on your rifle if its chambered to SAAMI specs. I think the freebore is 0.375". I have had good luck using the COAL in Nosler of 3.209" as well as the COAL from Barnes.

I'm have a vanguard series 1 that won't shoot Accubonds unless they are stuffed all the way into the case. Weatherby designed this cartridge with free bore. I tried seating bullets long and they looked more like a shotgun pattern than anything else. I knew my gun shot factory loads well so I measured one and was surprised to see how much free bore I had. As soon as I seated my bullets deep in the case my groups shrank to sub MOA. My gun prefers a COAL of 3.140 for the Accubonds.

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_213635773~2.jpg
    IMG_20220119_213635773~2.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 75
My Rem 700 257 WB definitely has WB freebore!!! I can touch the lands at 3.680 with both 110 AB and 115 BT. That has the bullet base right at longest front edge of case neck. NO bullet engaging neck!

I load to 3.430 oal so still jumping .250!! Reason I went this long is my rifle shot best here. 3/4" groups typically. Trying the 3.170 SAAMI, trying 3.270" recommended by Layne Simpson in article he penned all shot 1 1/4" ish.

Good luck but I would definitely try some big seating depth changes to start. You can fine tune .010, etc once you get a starting point. Remember to shoot groups SLOWLY with that Bad Boy!! He ll generate some heat.

make one case up- I have cases made up for all my Rifles and leave them in that die box for the next time. I measure all my bullets within the box, cause there are differences. Keep good notes !!! and brass well marked.

Recent Posts