.257 Sierra pro hunter 117gr spitzer

Stump91

Just bought a box of these and am a fairly new reloader. Just wondering if any of you have experience with the Sierra pro hunter bullet.

I shoot these bullets out of my 257Wby. they are very accurate and hold up well for deer and hogs. All animals shot with them are pass throughs and the internals are jelly. I am pushing them at 3380FPS my last time at the range (100 yds 5 shot group)

Attachments

• Image0039.jpg
    Image0039.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 199
Thanks for the reply Centxshooter. I just loaded my first pro hunters in my 25-06. I know my velocity is no where near your Wby mag but my groups are quite similiar over a near max load of H4831.
Ive long wanted a .257 Wby and now reloading may make that possible. how do you like yours?

I have killed more deer with the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter than BLUE TONGUE. Well almost so. My rifles favorite bullet. Will shoot 1" or better groups at 300 yards and anything from a big old buck deer down usually expires on the spot when hit with one. My rifle is finicky but once I found THE LOAD it shoots like a house a fire. Rem 700, Shilen #6 26" 25-06 Rem. As far as the powder charge goes it came from the #4 Sierra manual as the accuracy load. 49 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250 Mag primer, Rem case match prepped, and I get 3000 fps. A lot of rifles like 52 grs H-4831 with this bullet and a CCI-BR2 primer. You don't need a 257 Weatherby until you get past 600 yards if you have a 25-06 for deer size game. On average the 257 WM is not as accurate as a 25-06 from my experience. Good luck and good shooting.

Thank y'all, I'm glad to hear of the on game success with this bullet as it is proving very accurate.
Rt2506 thanks for the advice as I am still young and fighting the urge for something "magnum" but everytime I shot my 25-06 it gets a little better. Also I don't have access to practice or allow myself to hunt past 400 yds so it seems maybe just more powder for little gain. Again, thank you and happy shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.