257 roberts ON SMALL RING MAUSER M93 1908 action

OK for the NAY SAYERS the action and barrel i have was assembled by the man NED ROBERTS himself and shows under the action next to the barrel lug an 80K psi proof ok engraved by i assume ned roberts himself or who ever did the test with the barrel on it ( no history prior to the gentleman i got it froms aquisition )

clearly i should in the name of gun information slap a no go gauge in it and see if the chamber and bolt are still servicable BUT ASSUMING that goes as planned

what are your thoughts of a load of 7828SSc in the BOB.. i have good luck with it in my 6mm remington under 103 ELDX

and with UNKNOWN COAL the 20 spent brass i got with the gun had the powder and load data ( NO LENGTH MEASURE) at 117 RN with 49 GR 4831 which based on book is about 4-5 grains over max... but book max is based on short action COAL not the mauser box potential...... SO,,,,,,, would you back off the given data and find the lands and use it or look at the 7828 to try to take some pressure off the action and use the 24" barrel length to the advantage

I inherited from my grandfather his pre-64 Mod 70 in .257 Roberts. This rifle started out as a 25-06 and was re-barreled to .257 Rob. I also inherited some of his loads for this rifle. He was using 49gr H4831 with CCI-200 primers to a CBTO of 2.46" with a 100gr Sierra Spitzer. This load would have been assmebled in the late '70s. I fired the last of these loads earlier this Summer, so I can't tell you the COAL, but it is WAY longer than factory loads.

I haven't worked up any loads for this rifle, myself, yet.

Sounds about right... and darn near duplicate of what the data on this. Probably late 70s box of Winchester brass. Is. I do know. My 70 is a LA ( ALL 257 roberts were from Winchester) and this mauser being intermediate im sure. They were necked out. But. Nice to know. The data isnt to out to lunch..

I also inherited my grandfather's 44th Edition of the Lyman reloading handbook. He had notes on some of the pages, but not for the .257 Roberts.

Attachments

• 20201204_142020.jpg
    20201204_142020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • 20201204_142010.jpg
    20201204_142010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
p
I also inherited my grandfather's 44th Edition of the Lyman reloading handbook. He had notes on some of the pages, but not for the .257 Roberts.
probably because he saw how down loaded that load data is.... heck in my hornady vol 10 thats load data equal to the 250-3000 savage.. my hornady book is down loaded BUT NOT THAT FAR .... if he was flinging 49 gr he already knew dont make notes lol
i think ill start about 10 tho off the lands if i can and start a couple grains below the data i had and if that works ill start with my start load of 6mm 7828 and see where things land because once i have a COAL where a given bullet hits lands i can then go deeper.. if 49 GR powder is even plausable

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.