257 Mag First shots

sniperjwt

Well after having my 257 Weatherby Mag for about a month and a half now i finally got a chance to go out and shoot it. I did however get a Axiom stock put on it. This was the first time i have ever sighted in a gun from the prone position. The first two shots were very high and left but thats ok they were my fouling shots. I moved the scope then shot again. This time it was about 2 inches high and 3 inches right. I adjusted the scope again and then shot and it was pretty darn close to the dot so i shot 2 more times. The second of the 3 shots i punched the trugger and it went a little left. I was a little taken back by how the gun "jumped". There was very little recoil that i felt anyway but it seemed the muzzle jumped up more than what i am used to. I am not sure if it was because of shooting off a bipod or if that is the affect of the recoil reducing Axiom stock. Did not seem to affect the accuracy any just took a little getting used to. I had not shot the gun before putting this stock on it so i cant tell you how much the stock reduces recoil but like i said before it did not hardly kick at all. After i got done with those last three shots i decided to walk around and see if any groundhogs were out. Well i topped a hill and seen one running back to his hole. I pulled up and shot him. He was only about 40 yards away and the 100 grain bullet going about 3500fps really did a number on him. Unfortunatly my phone broke so i could not take a picture and i was not going to bring him back home to take a picture of him. Almost forgot the group was .675.

washingdishes004.jpg

Gee, nice shoot'n. How far away was the box? Might-a-bin 6' :rolleyes: for all we know?? How about a pic of your new cannon??

joseph

Gee, nice shoot'n. How far away was the box? Might-a-bin 6' :rolleyes: for all we know?? How about a pic of your new cannon??

joseph

LOL sorry i did not put the range. It was 100 yards. Actually it was probably about 105 because i stepped it off and i always take very long steps. Anyway here is a pic of the gun

securedownload.jpg

Last edited:
WOW that's wild looken and a good shooter too. Good luck with it and keep the barrel warm. gun) gun)

joseph

I liked the looks of your rifle enough that I just ordered a Axiom rifle stock for my Vanguard.

sniperjwt,
After looking at your post again, I would recommend changing rings to get your scope down closer to the barrel. This will give you a better cheek weld and more relaxed position when shooting. You will be more accurate and shoot better groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.