257 group opens up at 200. Wind, rifle, or loading?

7man

I worked up loads for my howa 338 win mag and my weatherby vanguard 257 weatherby. 257 had 70 gr of rl 25 with a nosler 115 grain partition., 338 had 72 gr of imr 4350 with a 200 gr hornady interlok. Took them both to the range on a very windy day and got confused. The 338 did what I expected, 3" high at 100 and dead on at 200. The 257 was two inches high at 100 and then, at 200, it was 6" high and right, and the group opened up 4"! Both rifles shot a 1" group at 100. It was very windy yesterday at the range, but did the wind affect the 257 bullet that much? Deer season is Saturday and it looks like I'll have to use my 338. I wanted to use the 257 but my confidence is shattered in that rifle. I won't be using it this season, but I'd like to have some ideas on what is going on. Thoughts experience?

One thing I didn't check (just thought of it). Action screws and scope mounts could have loosened up.

If you're shooting 5 or less shots per group, the difference in MOA between two ranges you saw is very normal. Several such groups typically have a 3X or more spread in MOA across them.

Shoot at lest 10 shots per test group. Let the barrel cool down between shots if it starts walking impact as it heats up.

Us humans typically cause what you're seeing because we don't shoulder the rifle exactly the same way each time we shoot each group at different ranges.

Yep agree, but I forgot to mention I use a lead sled. So my shooting is rock solid. I shot a one inch group with my 338 at 100 yds and then printed a 2" group at 200.

There is your problem. The Lead Sled. It will not allow the rifle to recoil the same every time. Get you a good front press and a rear bag or just get some good sand bags front and back and do your shooting allowing the rifle to recoil the same every time and you will see your groups close up it you have the proper loads for your rifle.

We've had 15 mph winds this week. I shot this morning with no wind. 1" on the 338 and 1" on the weatherby.

I have not had the wind push my groups around that significantly at such a short range with my 257, or other small calibers for that matter . Further I could believe it . It's a time of flight thing , ya know ?

Ya lead sled. No Bueno. They're only good for patterning shotguns if that.

I too use lead sled during load development and barrel break-ins (as I transition from shooting to barrel cleaning) and I have been using it since it first came out with very good success.

If used properly (no clamp or weight) it could augment the sight in process as well. Once I have the desired grouping, I refine my load/shot in prone position with my hunting set-up (bipod and bipod buddy). The challenge for me when using the sled is not having a good cheek weld/rifle cradle. My shots in prone is always better than on sled.

To the OP,

Refine your load at 200 yards esp. your cold bore shot.

My last cold bore shot at 200 yard on my .270 AI with 175 Matrix VLD before calling it good for the 2014 hunting season.

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

The prize at 311 yards ...

1103140938a_zpsaec59d74.jpg

1103140915a_zpsfbc5f01d.jpg

I have not had the wind push my groups around that significantly at such a short range with my 257, or other small calibers for that matter . Further I could believe it . It's a time of flight thing , ya know ?

I said the rifle was shooting 4" groups at 200 with 15 mph winds. Sorry I freaked out over not attainning my normal 2" at that range.

I finally found a load that shoots well out of my 257. Barnes 100 grain TTSX, 73 grains of reloader 25, CCI magnum primers, coal 3.282, shooting at 3500 fps out of a 24" tube. It's a ragged hole at 100, and at 200 I can keep it under an inch if I do my part. I worked up to 75 grains of powder, but past 73 grains there was not much gain in velocity, and loads above 73 grains gave me a lot of variation in velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.