257 Build?

You get any hang fires with SRP cases in cold weather? Been reading about that issue being a problem in 22 Creedmoor...
I've never had a problem with my 6.5x47 in lapua brass. Use it for deer hunting here in Manitoba at -20 to -30C often. Never had a hang fire. I use CCI 450's.

I had a 22 CHeetah years ago. I used the 308 BR SRP brass at that time. Seemed like that brass was fairly new at the time, not sure. Never had any failure to fire issues. Seemed that the ES was lower than with the LRPs if I remember correctly. Hope that helps.

I think powder ignition problems are most likely to occur with the slower burning powders in the colder temps. Use the hottest small rifle primer available is a good choice, and then maybe not a problem? My .223s fire fine in cold temps, but I'm not using H1000 in those cases. Using small payload, faster burn rate powders.

Gotta conclude some do have problems. Otherwise can't imagine why would Peterson (manufacturing and selling SRP cases) would warn their customers away from them... A bad combination of primer, powder, and cold temps must be prone to powder ignition inconsistencies.

I was just this week interested in, and shopping for, 22 Creedmoor SRP cases for increased primer pocket life. Decided any gain in case life wasn't worth even a single missed opportunity in the field - should a SRP fail to fire a shell normally, consistently, and to the pre-planned POI.

Seems anything mid cartridge size in .257 has a special ring to it lately. With the 131s currently and the new Berger additions, it seems like a great combination. Personally I'm going 25-284. The 25 CM, 25 Souper, 257 Roberts or Improved version. Even the big 257 Wby mag is a popular offering with many in between. U just can't go wrong right now with the .257 cartridge as new heavy bullet offerings are showing up. Hornady and Sierra will show up with a 130+/- weight class bullet I'm sure. That will complete the line up and if what happens as it did with the .270(6.8 Western)recently, gun companies will start offering fast twist .257 rifles.
that will help the new owners of Remington if they come out with fast twist barrels

Sounds like you are looking for a smaller 25cal cartridge. I would just hit the easy button and go 25creed. Top Quality Reamers, brass, dies available, and it runs easily mag feed in a short action.
I've run a 25SST for a couple of years now. Really like it. 26" Rock Creek, I don't see pressure signs with the 131s and h-1000 until 3270fps.
And 100gr nosler BT's at 3570 fps leave volley ball sized exits on pigs at close range.

E4FF9B49-45EC-4793-B81D-7CAFD5E3088E.png

I've built fast twist 25 saum, 3x 25creeds, 25sst and soon to be a 257 blaser (basically beltless wby that's almost done) all have done what they have stated to do. The sst has been the biggest disappointment, it holds 1.5gr less than the saum yet will not go much over 3100fps from a 26" barrel without ejector marks. This is the second barrel that has been slow as proof warrantied the first, I purchased new preformed brass and broke it in low psi, now there's 150 rounds on it, and still getting bolt lift and ejector marks with low charges of H1000 and slow speeds. It's been frustrating!

How does that 257 Blazer compare to a 257 Blackbird?