.257 berger hunting

den

would a 115 berger hunting be a solid performing bullet for a 250-3000 savage at about 2800-2900 fps for blacktail deer size game, we already have some good loads with h 414 and rl 17 just a little hesitant about changing from the 100 gr hornadys interlock and nosler bt that have been working , it seems that the higher b.c . could extend the range of this gun to at least 400 yards, maybe more according to the calculators, any experience on game with these would be greatly appreciated,thanks

Just make sure your rifle has at least a 1:10" twist. Some of the old 250-3000's have slower twists intended to shoot lighter bullets and the 115 gr VLD won't stabilize in anything slower than a 1:10".

Other than that pay attention to seating depth/jump to the riflings and you should be able to get an accurate and lethal load worked up with them.

Take care,
-Bryan

We had failures to expand with 2 of 3 deer shot with that bullet.

You only lose a tiny bit of BC with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip and get much more reliable expansion.

At 0.466, the BC of the 115 VLD is on the low side of Berger offerings.

You only lose a tiny bit of BC with the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip and get much more reliable expansion.

From conversations I've had with Ryan @ Berger, they're looking into research and R&D on some heavier high-BC .257 offerings. Which may, or may not be high on the priority list, but it's good to know they're looking into it.

Were both deer recovered and organs examined? We've shot the 115 VLD from a 250 AI for a number of years and it's flat awesome, you couldn't pay me to shoot Ballistic tips again from it!!!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

yes they are 1in 10 twist semi custom youth rifles one is a ruger with a winchester 25wssm take off rechambered to 250 sav other one is a mdl 70 with a douglas barrel both @ around 21 inches fun& accurate little youth rifles the Winchester has taken quite a few deer mostly smaller forked horns but one big body 4 point @ around 100 yrds behind the shoulder, I was a little worried on him but he was drt , I would like to extend the effective range some if possible and the bergers are real accurate and show a noticeable difference in drop over the 100 gr hornady just don't want to let the kids down trying to reach to far for the awesome little 250sav cartridge , thank you all for your knowledge and advise

My friends and I have used the 115 VLDs to take 22 animals (coues wt, elk, antelope and javelina) with our 257 weatherbys. Many of the shots were 450 plus with one on an antelope at 560 yds. Sure this chambering is much faster than a 250-3000 but impact velocities at those longer distances would make it similar to the 250's at closer distances. Many of the animals dropped to the shot with a few not even twitching.

I refer you to John Barsness's article on the 115 VLD shot from a 257 Roberts on hunting trip to New Zealand.

"Walt's huge stag, taken with a 115-grain VLD from
a .257 Roberts through the liver. Right, the VLDs
proved to be about the deadliest bullet on tough
feral goats that the Wanganui guides had ever seen.
Eileen shot this billy at just over 200 yards with a
115-grain bullet from her .257 Roberts, broadside
through the lungs. The goat collapsed at the shot."

article: http://www.bergerbullets.com/images/articles/John_Barness-Handloader.pdf

I recently put together a load for a friend's 257 Roberts using the 115 VLDs. I have confidence they will work fine on the coues wt this fall.

The 25 cal 115 VLD may be low compared to what Berger makes in OTHER CALIBERS but it is the highest BC I am aware of for a 25 cal.

Yes the 115 work excellent on deer. I have taken a coues deer out to 667 yards. I'm running the 115 in lake city match cases under 36gr of reloader 17 at 2840 fps out of a 24" 10 twist shaw barrel. My nephew took a large cow elk with the same load at 200 yards last year. The little 250 and the 115s make for a lethal package.

thanks for the replies & cool article , I think my loads are going to come in around 2800 maybe a little over seems like a great setup to me both guns seem to shoot everything well just a lot better with the bergers when shooting a 10in @ 300+ again Thanks a lot

den, i have hunted with a custom Mauser 95 in 250 Savage for the past 10 years. It's my favorite rifle and I have taken many whitetail deer with it. I have not hunted with 115 Bergers in that rifle. It prefers 117 Sierras. However, I have never lost an animal with that rifle and I have never recovered a bullet. My farthest shot was 236 yards and I had complete pass through. I have always felt with confidence I could humanly take deer sized animals out to 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.