.257 bee 90gr absolute

Need to try a faster powder.
If I was running 115bt still 26 would be money.
4350 was looking good for the same weight. Bullet from nosler.
Rl16 is the next one I would love to try. It's slightly faster than 4350. Temp stabil. I only had it me pound though and think I'll keep 4350z

I'm running 26 in mine and I'm over 4K.
Not many. Lol. I'm running same bullet with re26 at just over 3800.
Not many. Lol. I'm running same bullet with re26 at just over 3800.
I'll post load tonight. I'm using h4350 but wondering if rl16 which is the next one faster maybe be better. Although I've been spending so much time loading all ready I don't need to chase another 100fps with this one. [/QUOTE. If you are not compressed and still have room for a few more grains of a slower powder even if it compresses you will pick up velocity. My case capacity on my 25-284 is around 62 too 63 grs of Rl19 when I pressured out with h4350 using the 90 gr absolute at 59.5 grs with 3816 fps I went too Rl19 and run out of case capacity at 62 grs compressed and made it too 3876 fps without pressuring out . I know the norm is too move too a faster powder , but that is mainly because you have run out of capacity.I'm probably only reiterating something you already know , but that is what works for me too get maximum vel . from the absolutes.
I'm running 26 in mine and I'm over 4K.

28" Weatherby
Weatherby brass
Cci250
90gr absolute
Oal 3.282"
73.5gr h4350
I'm curious if this is a saami chamber with the mile long free bore. And how far are you jumping them. (COAL) I ask because, after reading this I decided to pull out the one I had sitting in the safe for a few years ( brand new) And do the same thing.

I took 7 mag ADG brass and ran it through a 257 Wby die, until I got a crush fit, stuck a 110 sierra at saami length and fired 50 of em.
when I tried to find the lands, with a hornady tool, the bullet just falls out the end of the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious if this is a saami chamber with the mile long free bore. And how far are you jumping them. (COAL) I ask because, after reading this I decided to pull out the one I had sitting in the safe for a few years ( brand new) And do the same thing.

I took 7 mag ADG brass and ran it through a 257 Wby die, until I got a crush fit, stuck a 110 sierra at saami length and fired 50 of em.
when I tried to find the lands, with a hornady tool, and the bullet just falls out the end of the case.
I don't have a bee, but I hear they have a mile of free-bore.

just got done with a new project ,Weatherby Mark 5 action ,fiber stock , Brux barrel 28 inch - 7 1/2 twist ,4 contour, my own reamer 257 Weatherby mag. chambered, 5-22x56 Nightforce scope. had all the machining done by Straight Line Machining / Greg Walstrom who has machined some National title 1,000 yd. bench rifles that won 1st place and some others too. if i get drawn for antelope will test this new long range rifle out . i do have a bunch of Hammer ,Berger and Black Jack bullets to figure out what will work the best in this rifle at longer distances.

Yes, in that neighborhood, except for Vanguards I believe.
Here's the SAAMI reamer spec for the 257 WBY.
Compared to 25-06 it has about .130 from the end of case neck to the leade angle, the 257 Bee is at ~.380. Your description of bullets falling out of necks....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-124321_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-124321_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

when I tried to find the lands, with a hornady tool, the bullet just falls out the end of the case.
It's indeed the long Weatherby free bore you will never find lands just let them jump.

I understand the Hammers do well with "jump", so I don't see a reason to worry about my Lipsey Number 1.
It will put 3 factory 100 gr. rounds in 1/2" at 100 yds, Norma bullet I think, so jump was not an issue with those, I would think maybe less an issue with the Hammer.
It has a 28" barrel, should scream.
I have RL 16, 23 & 26 to play with along with H4350.
I just have to decide which is better, the 100 TTSX or the 90 gr. Hammer ??

I understand the Hammers do well with "jump", so I don't see a reason to worry about my Lipsey Number 1.
It will put 3 factory 100 gr. rounds in 1/2" at 100 yds, Norma bullet I think, so jump was not an issue with those, I would think maybe less an issue with the Hammer.
It has a 28" barrel, should scream.
I have RL 16, 23 & 26 to play with along with H4350.
I just have to decide which is better, the 100 TTSX or the 90 gr. Hammer ??
No contest. Hammer.