257 __________ ? name this wildcat

You could drop all the card game references and call it what it is/what you want it to be, a 257 RALLY.

Then Mudrunner can change his username to MudRally2019

Last edited:
You could drop all the card game references and call it what it is/what you want it to be, a 257 RALLY.

Then Mudrunner can change his username to MudRally2019
Yeah, that's not gonna happen... But he's more than welcome to name it whatever he wants. I was only joking about it, because very early in this thread someone made a comment about naming it after me...Then Miles said something else about it today...So I went along with the joke again.

the Headstamps will say 257 _________ and on the other side in the same orientation it will say BLACKJACK. We have considered calling it 257 BLACKJACK though but want the mass market to realize that 257 __________ is also a reference to a new cartridge and not just the bullets.

I posted this in a previous reply to you. When someone mentions Weatherby, everyone knows that it is high-speed, and the shoulder has a radius, and guaranteed accuracy. Then we have the Sherman line of ammunition, again we know that the cartridge is designed to use long, high BC bullets at high speeds. We have the entire line of Ackley Improved cartridges, shorter necks, less case angle and a 40 degree shoulder from a parent case.

I've read a similar thread that you have posted in reference to another cartridge that you have designed and were looking for a name of that particular cartridge. I'm not familiar with the line of cartridges that you are designing, as I am pretty much old school when talking cartridges. When I first read your posting I said what's wrong with the 25-06 or even the .270 Winchester to achieve these velocities. Now after reading a thread or two, when I read/hear Blackjack I already know that we are talking about a cartridge designed for long-range hunting or shooting. I STRONGLY suggest that you name all of your line of cartridges with your manufacturing name of BLACKJACK. It's confusing enough to keep track of all the cartridges now, please do not add to the confusion. The type of confusion I am writing about is what Nosler did with the .280 Ackley Improved SAAMI vs the .280 Ackley Improved wildcat! For me personally it took a lot of research and reading good information and "mis-information" to decipher the differences between the two cartridges.

Last edited:
The 257 ______ prototypes will be here in about 2 weeks!

Although this brass already has a prototype name designation, 257 Black Magic, 257 Vegas, 257 STAG, 257 JACKPOT, and others have stuck in my mind pretty well.

When we start Load Dev and publishing this stuff we will be as detailed as possible and produce a PDF for the cartridge with different powders - that is to say we will be much more exhaustive with this Load Dev and Load Data than what we publish for cartridges with sister calibers like 6/6.5 creed and x47.

The case capacity and geometry is in a sort of void between many useful SA cartridges and LA cartridges so we want to provide as much data as possible.

I attached the 257 WBY MAG case head as well - who didn't have a cartridge they wished they had growing up? Hopefully in the coming years 257 ______ will have that effect on some young and old shooters!

View attachment 128695

View attachment 128696

Move the 257 to top center and Blackjack to the bottom.
257 Headstamp.jpg

Any update on this? I've been following your development and was hoping for some developments so I could start planning for a build.

I suggest .257 BJC - BlackJack Cartridge. I can't remember if it was already suggested. .257 Ace sounds good as well.