.257" 100g Matchkings out of 25/06 Rem.

remingtonman_25_06

Would just like to say I know matchkings work on varmints. I am just having some erratic results. Sometimes they blow up, sometimes they act like FMJ's. Here are some of my experiences with them.

I have been experimenting a lot lately with the 100g matchkings out of my 25/06. I went with the accuracy load out of the sierra manual which say 52g of IMR-4350. This load at 100 yards regularly groups in the .4 to .6 range. Average is .5 inch. Velocity is average of about 3250fps over my chrony. I know sierra does not recomend them forhunting purposes, but all the LR hunters use them, and dont have problems with them. I did some expansion test with mine with wet newspaper placed at 100 yards. I shot 3 shots into them and later recovered the bullets. 2 of them blew up so bad that all I found was bits and pieces, the other 1 was a good mushroom. The one mushroom did not retain much weight though. That doesn't bother me, much like B-tips performance. However, I also shoot my milk jugs with B-tips and they will explode and send water flying everywhere. When I hit the jugs with the 100g Matchkings they act like FMJ's and dont have the expansion like they had when I shot into the newspaper. Also tonight, I just got back from a coyote hunt and was successfull. My dad called in a coyote to 101 yards and I was shooting my trusty 25/06 with 100g SMK's. At the shot, the coyote dropped in his tracks. When we walked up to him, it was almost blown in half. These are some of the most recent experiments I have made with the 100g SMK's. From my experiences, they seem to give erratic performance on expansion. Sometiems they will expand rapidly, and sometimes they dont. I have not yet tried them on deer, but I will this coming year if my 25/06 barrel is not worn out by this time. Are my findings out of the ordinary?

Hey Remingtonman 25_06, I Had about the same results in my 243 with the 70gr, I havent tried them In my 25-06 that I just finished but I will let you know if I do, I went back to Nos B.T. in my 243 95gr thats my varmit and Deer load and I use 125gr Nos B.T. in my 300 Win Mag for varmits and things
rolleyes.gif

Tom

Semper-Fi

My favourite 257 MK load also uses I-4350, 53.0 grains which yields 3475 fps from my rifle. (WW brass & Fed 210s)

I've also worked with H-4831SC, I-4831, and R-22. These all yield higer velocities and will stay at the .5" mark, but the I-4350 shoots noticeably tighter, 3s if I do my part.

The 100 grain Sierra MK has performed well for me on goats at 4-550 yards. All shots have been broadside lung whacks. Entrance and exit wounds have been impressive. Whether the bullet is fragging or tumbling upon impact with the ribs is unknown as I have not recovered and bullets. I would not use this bullet for big bone shots.

On prairie rats, the MK simply bores a clean hole through the little beasts at ranges beyond 400 yards. A center of mass hit is required to insure immediate termination. Lack of homogenous density I suppose.

Nosler 85 gr BT and Hornady 75 V-Max offer much better rat destruction, but the wind raises hell with them beyond 500.

You might consider working with the Barnes 100 XLC and another consideration would be the Berger 115 VLD. Both offer great BCs. I'm experimenting with the Berger now and may use it this year on goats.

Another Sierra I've had great luck with is their 117 SBT. It whacks goats like the Hammer of Thor with very predictable terminal performance. I've found the Sierra 120 HPBT to be a poor long range pill although it performs very well at traditional hunting ranges.

The Sierra 100 MK is a great bullet, just keep in mind it's construction and intended purpose. Select your shots and you'll be fine.

BTW, it's great to hear from another 25 calibre fan. We are a bit of an oddity in this genre of shooting discipline.

Good luck to you.

Stitch

It doesn't really bother me on varmints. Either way, they both are still dead. I am just worried about what they are going to do on deer. I also used the 125g BT out of my old .300 Win Mag. Light recoiling, and some impressive results.

Holmes

Are you using a 25/06 to get those velocities? What barrel length? I suppose the 100g would work excellent for antelope like you say and also deer. I am going to try them out this year on deer. My old standby load has always been the 115g BT. But I am just trying a little bit of everything now. Last season I shot the 100g XLC, shot 2 deer with them. Dropped both of them deader than dead, massive internal destruction. But accuracy was erratic so I quit using them. I have also used the 75g V-max, and 85g BT. Both with super results. 75 has given me the best accuracy groups to come out of my 25/06 at the 1/4" mark. I used them exclusively for about 6 months during coyote season. Never had one exit. They were like bombs exploding inside coyotes. I also tried the 85g BT, and Combined technology version. These have proven to be the 2nd most accurate out of my 25/06 usually giving me groups of 3/8" I shot a couple coyotes at 400-550+ with great results. I have also shot the 100g BT. Have shot a couple deer with them with great results. Also works well for coyotes. I have experimented with every grain weight of bullet for the .257" bore. I have never had trouble getting groups of 3/4" or better out of my 25/06 except for when I was experimenting with the Barnes 100g XLC bullets. Most of my loads I keep working on untill they give me 1/2" Also nice to see your .257 fan as well. I always like talking and sharing things about the quarter bore. It is definately my favorite from coyotes to deer size game.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Are you using a 25/06 to get those velocities? What barrel length?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...it's really quite strange. The barrel is a NBRSA 6 groove Lilja at 27.5" Chamber is a minimum spec SAAMI. Quite honestly, when I started working loads with the new barrel I was immediately on the caution as I was getting numbers markedly higher than those in print. I was using an inexpensive Chrony at the time and began to suspect the machine as I was seeing no pressure signs. High velocities were being attained with all powders tested.

I sold the Chrony and purchased a 35 Proof. Velocities remained high but I could now measure under much more diverse lighting conditions so I am still glad I made the upgrade. The Imron 4350 load of 53.0 grains gives me a SD of 9 fps. Test temperature was 78F and the load has been used at 88F with no problems observed.

I've heard tale of "fast" barrels but always considered this a wives tale. Now I don't know what to think!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Last season I shot the 100g XLC, shot 2 deer with them. Dropped both of them deader than dead, massive internal destruction. But accuracy was erratic so I quit using them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience exactly. I could not get reliable results in my 375 H&H with Barnes pills either. I've got friends that swear by 'em but I swear at 'em!

I've played with a lot of bullets in this calibre as well. Wind is an issue in Wyoming so the MK is often in my bag. I'll post my findings with the Berger 115 when I'm finished.

Regards,

[ 06-18-2003: Message edited by: Holmes ]

[ 06-18-2003: Message edited by: Holmes ]

Hey just a note, tried the 53g IMR 4350 and a 100g SMK in that new 25-06 I just finished building. 5rds .293-.487, I also loaded the RE 19 with the .85 gr Nos but didnt get to test all of them yet. Thanks for sharing the info.
Tom

Semper-Fi

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.