256 x 61 magnum

Okay, Gibbs case length is 55mm, so not that one.
The Winchester has a 32.5mm case length, so that's out, too.
Search is still on. Maybe the .256 Newton? It has a 62mm case length, so pretty close.

Good info. Maybe you can post a picture, too? It could help.
Edited: There is the 7×61mm Sharpe & Hart which is a belted magnum based off the .300 H&H case. I wonder if someone just necked it down to .256? But to get headstamped brass with "256" on it would seem to indicate it was a commercial cartridge at some point. Still searching...

Last edited:
I'm almost certain based on what your saying the cartridge is indeed a .264/6.5 sharp and Harte magnum.

the .256 mannlicher cartridge is in fact a .264 or 6.5 diameter, .256 being the inside lands diameter (so calling a 6.5 a .256 is no different than calling cartridges that shoot 277 or 308 bullets 270 or 300 caliber).

so a .256X61 belted magnum is almost certainly based on the 7mm sharp and Harte necked down to .264". The official headstamp is kinda surprising for sure.

Found these offered at auction, looks like they are calling it a 61x.256 Winchester Magnum? Curious to see if it has a common designation.

Those are handgun cartridges not the belted magnum described by the op. Funny enough though, what are the odds there's exactly 61 of them for sale while we're trying to figure this out.

I'd love to see a picture......I started collecting cases for a bullet board and realized how many cartridges there actually is, and if you actually had everyone of them it would be a massive collection! Something about see the odd ball ones that I get a kick out of!

I'd love to see a picture......I started collecting cases for a bullet board and realized how many cartridges there actually is, and if you actually had everyone of them it would be a massive collection! Something about see the odd ball ones that I get a kick out of!
Will send you one of each, PM me or text me at 530-570-7685
I have an old Winchester Bullet board copy on my wall in my reloading room, have hundreds of cartridge's to build my own but would have to build a whole new rom with big walls to fit them all in!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts