2506 bad shoulder

Enzo

I am heading out to Colo. in unit 48 with my Dad we used to hunt 49 and had good success but pref. points went up to 8. So we drew 48, if anyone can give us a little help in 48 that would be awesome. We are staying in Leadville.I Also had emergency Rotator surgery 3 weeks ago and it looks like I will be downsizing from 300wsm to a 2506 shooting lefty with 24'' bipod & or shooting stix. I have hand loads with 100 grn Barns TSX , also bought a box of 120 grs Fusions . What would shoot or will it matter, only plan on shooting up to 300yards?

First, sorry to hear about the shoulder. Here's prayers for a speedy recovery.

I took my first two elk with the 25-06. Both were taken with a 120 Nosler partition.

I'm not a big fan of the Barnes bullets on game, I have had too many that didn't open up enough and led to either long tracking jobs or the only 4 game animals I hit that I didn't recover. There are some notes in various forums that the Barnes work best (open up) after hitting bone. That said, if you're going to use the Barnes try and hit a heavy bone to be sure the bullet opens up.
Can't help you much with Area 48 though other than to say you'll be in some beautiful country!

Having had more shoulder surgeries than anyone should have to have in one life I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

The soreness should be pretty well over with and recoil isn't going to injure your rotator cuff anyhow.

I'd just shoot my most accurate rifle and just be mindful that if you go with the 25-06 you don't want to try punching the shoulder but go specifically for a heart/lung shot through the ribs.

If it were me I'd just take some Motrin or Aleve along with me and not worry about it unless you're really afraid it's going to cause you to flinch.

So having been out of sugary for 5 weeks the recoil will not damage rotator ? My DR. has me not taking my elbow off my side for 6 weeks then rubber band exercises on my own. Went In for spur & calcium deposits,3 week recovery was found. That extended recovery to 10-12 weeks.

I really don't see how it would. The way you damage your rotator is with rotation of the arm or by exceeding the built in range of motion.

If by the time your hunt comes up you have back enough range of motion to get the weapon shouldered and into a firing position I really don't think there's any worry from the recoil itself.

To be honest I'd be more worried about the possibilities of reinjuring it due to a fall or by just not being real careful in getting your pack on/off.

I am in week 7 of extensive shoulder surgery. My doctor assures me I'll be ok to go in 2nd week of November. Said it might suck but shouldn't mess anything up. So I practiced left handed just in case and am taking a 7mm-08. Hoping for no pain. Hope all goes well for you. By the way therapy has been great and I'm ahead of schedule only because of attitude and want to I think. But hang in there.

I like Barnes TTSX for game when used at high velocities. I shot a big bodied muley @ 488 yards with a 100gr. TTSX from my .25-06 Ackley, and he went about 2'.....straight down. Quartering on hard, bullet entered front of right shoulder/neck junction, jelloed the lungs/heart, exited left rear hip. No bones hit.

Deer stood there and I actually thought I had missed. Chambered a second round and the buck stood straight up on his hind legs and went over backwards without a flop or kick or twitch.

I will say this.....there was a .25" entry hole, and about .5" exit. No blood other than from his mouth, so I am not sure how tracking would have been if it was needed. But dead is dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.