.250 super improved i.e. .250/243 40* shoulder

jonathan29407

Been luggin around longer than I can remember an early Jarrett .270 with a bull barrel for whitetail in S.C.. Was ready for a change last year, had a little fun money and found a Larry Smart 6.5x284( rem 700 action guru in the long range comp circle). Had a recent accident and both guns are to heavy for me to shoot comfortably. Any thoughts on the .250 si in rem. model 7 frame for S.C. Whitetails and yotes?

jonathan29407,

.250 super improved i.e. .250/243 40* shoulder

I think you could mean:

.25 Souper Improved as originally named in about 1957. This is the .308 Win. or the .243 Win. necked to take .25 caliber bullets and with a 40 degree shoulder.

.25 caliber cartridges have been killing whitetails forever so this cartridge will be right in there helping you have fun.

I have used the .250 Savage Improved which has a little less powder capacity and the .25-284, .25-06 and Improved and the .257 Weatherby, so yes I've had some experience with several of these cartridges.

If recoil is a problem until you heal completely then try shooting the 100 gr. Nosler Partition. It should be good for 1,000 ft/lbs of energy out to about 450 yards. if you can handle a little more recoil then go for the 115 gr. or the 120 gr. Nosler partition. There is also an AccuBond in that group as well. These can make your day out to about 600 yards if you keep the velocity in the upper node.

Regards.

I have been shooting the 25 souper for 3 years now and have taken mule deer, Blacktail, and coyote's. It puts them down with no trouble. I am shooting the Barnes 100 TTSX at 3190.

For deer and coyotes I would go with a 6.5X47. Shoot a 130 Berger hunting with Lapua brass and H4350. Manners EH1 or Mcmillan Game scout with a #4 or #5 contour barrel. Very little recoil, good ballistics, great brass and accurate. Plus no fire forming. Just load and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts