250 Grain Core-lok

7ultra

So, with school sucking up most of my time
mad.gif
, I was/am unable to reload for my 338 winchester. Through my limited reloading with this cartridge, the only round that really shot well (.75-.9 groups) were the 250 grain Core-loks. I was planning on using the 338 for the up coming T-zone hunt, and was just wondering how they would hold up on deer. (oh, and muzzle velocity is around 2670 as per Remington) Thanks for the help.

They will perform perfect on deer. More then you really need but they certainly will not let you down in any way unless you start stretching things out to 300 yards and more. They they will start dropping pretty quick.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the response Fifty,
Im not worried about them not killing the deer, rather what they will do. Last year my brother shot a buck @ 80 with some 250 Gamekings out of his 338-8mmRemington(@ alittle over 3000fps) Damage was not horrible. Anyways, I was just wondering if the 250 CL will blow the deer up or not

7Ultra,

Quite teh opposite in fact, at the velocities you will be driving it at, it will do less damage then say a 270 driving a 130 gr Ballistic Tip to 3100 fps.

IT will expand well, and controled at those velocities and on this size game.

IF your looking for the least amount of meat damage, a heavy, moderate velocity big bore is very hard to beat.

This is why I use Heavy hard cast bullets in my big bore revolvers I hunt with, they got a reputation of being able to eat right up to the bullet hole and this is pretty much true.

The 338 with the 250 CL will do mor edamage then this but it will do less damage then faster more conventional deer rounds and bullets.

Most think these large bores will totally destroy deer, this could not be farther from the trueth.

An example of this was an young hunter that came into the shop wanting to know what he could use for deer hunting as well as coyote hunting that would not destroy pelts.

He had a 280 Rem that he was loading the 120 gr Ballistic Tip to about 3300 fps in. He said it had worked well on deer but would totally destroy a pelt on a yote.

I asked him what ranges he hunted at and he said everything is under 300 yards so I grabbed a box of 150 gr Paritions and told him try a certain load and see how they work.

He came in to teh shop after the season and said they performed great. He had a picture of a very nice 4x5 whitetail and also several pictures of nice yotes he had sniped while onthe deer stand.

The Partition actually performed better on the deer producing much less tissure bruising and on the dogs, generally produced only quarter sized exit wounds unless he hit the off side shoulder and then all bets were off.

I told him for a 280 used on yote, this was not all that bad, he agreed.

It is the same thing with you only scaled up.

Good Shooting!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Fifty,
I used to work a gun range and always heard horror stories of Cor lok(really any base bullet) being horrible on game. But what you said just confirms what I was tending to believe. Thanks

7ultra,

The Core Loks are just like every other conventional cup jacketed bullet on the market such as those from Speer, Sierra and Hornady.

They have worked for decades and continue to work great in rounds that produce the velocity range these bullets were designed to work at, that being 2400-2900 fps muzzle velocities.

Put them in the new monster magnums and they are little bombs, in traditional velocity rounds they are still great performers on game.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.